Would like to know where I can find this tool please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie88

Reaction score
Hi all,
I work in the film business and have been doing a lot of work with brass lamp holders. I was lent a tool to secure the shade with the brass rings. It was great as some of the shades were quite tight at the top and it was almost impossible to get my fingers into them to tighten them. Does anyone know what it is called or even better where I could buy one. We called it ‘the nutcracker’. It wasn’t broken by me incidentally...if I could find a metal replacement I’d be over the moon!!

Attachments

• BBF88E75-CAA6-40B8-AE3A-63647F286195.jpeg
    BBF88E75-CAA6-40B8-AE3A-63647F286195.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 89
Welcome.

The tool looks double-ended. Is it possible to drill some fixing holes in the broken stub? You might then be able to attach a handle and use the good end to do the job.

Hi Stan thanks for your reply. It is indeed double ended although made of some sort of plastic. I would like to find one a metal one as I think repairing it wouldn’t give it much longer use.

A little Google searching tells me these are: shade ring pliers.

But no one seems to sell them, all I found were vintage (and sold).

Set up an eBay search alert, I suggest.

Hi all,
I work in the film business and have been doing a lot of work with brass lamp holders. I was lent a tool to secure the shade with the brass rings. It was great as some of the shades were quite tight at the top and it was almost impossible to get my fingers into them to tighten them. Does anyone know what it is called or even better where I could buy one. We called it ‘the nutcracker’. It wasn’t broken by me incidentally...if I could find a metal replacement I’d be over the moon!!
Look to be available (and in aluminium) here: [Link deleted - looks like the OP would rather look themselves]

Last edited:
A little Google searching tells me these are: shade ring pliers.

But no one seems to sell them, all I found were vintage (and sold).

Set up an eBay search alert, I suggest.
That’s great thanks so much for the info. Shade ring pliers sounds about right!! I’ll have a little look myself and see if I can find a pair

Back