Would anyone like to recommend me a smoothing plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to get a second hand smoothing plane. I've been looking on ebay but its a little difficult as I dont really know what i'm looking for, just that it should be an older model. I'm mostly just looking at stanley and record to keep it simple.

There is a site selling old tools here

http://theoldtoolshed.co.uk/c/57/smooth ... hand-tools

and

http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/_Block_ ... lanes.html

Would anyone like to me recommend one, if they are a good price for what they are?

Thank you.

You really are spoilt for choice! Any of the Record or Stanley no 4s from either seller would be an ideal all-round first plane. They are all old enough to have been made in Sheffield before manufacture shifted east and quality went south.

I know that in theory you could find the same thing at a boot sale for a couple of quid, but you could waste a lot of time and effort looking and those are all very good value for the quality of tool you would be getting. These are not dodgy rubbish - they are the good stuff.

hi i would look on ebay i think you could maybe get them cheaper, like has been said the older ones are good if they have wooden handles the should be ok
pip

Pip,

I disagree. You might get the same thing for a couple of pounds less (and then pay extra on the postage) but you are also likely to get something with hidden flaws ("sorry mate I don't know about planes it's all just from a house clearance no returns").

The people the OP linked to are legitimate traders with reputations to protect, subject to the distance selling regulations and intervention by trading standards if it was ever needed (which is unlikely). That peace of mind is worth a few quid.

I think this is especially true if you are new to planes like myself. I can barely tell a new type from old, and theres a massive amount of variety just for one model.

I did buy a block plane on ebay though. I flattened the sole a bit by rubbing it on sandpaper then sharpened the blade again. I decided to get a honing guide too so I knew exactly what angle I was doing, figured it would be worth it if im buying second hand and dont really know what im getting. The plane seems to work fine (admittedly I dont have past references to compare but its doing the job nicely) and was about 10-12 pounds including delivery.

Tetsuaiga":1usfrcnq said:
I think this is especially true if you are new to planes like myself. I can barely tell a new type from old, and theres a massive amount of variety just for one model.

I did buy a block plane on ebay though. I flattened the sole a bit by rubbing it on sandpaper then sharpened the blade again. I decided to get a honing guide too so I knew exactly what angle I was doing, figured it would be worth it if im buying second hand and dont really know what im getting. The plane seems to work fine (admittedly I dont have past references to compare but its doing the job nicely) and was about 10-12 pounds including delivery.

In which case I would read up on the Records and Stanleys and go from there. Just Google either for type identification.

Personally...I would trawl the bootfairs then...if you want a real bargain. Learning what's good and what's not is then a learning curve that costs a few pounds a shot and eventually you will find the best and keep it...you can sell the rest on FleaBay and pay for the one you keep many times over!

This is my little beauty that I have posted elsewhere to give you some idea of a good 'un.....

DSC_0681.JPG

A nice old honest USA No.4....happens to be corrugated but that doesn't matter much at this stage...works a treat...definitely my "keeper"....

DSC_0684.JPG

The anatomy with the bonnet open....lots of metal for the frog...nothing ground out for saving metal.

A lever cap with no maker's name....a simple iron and cap iron with just the words "STANLEY" or "STANLEY RULE AND LEVEL" on it is good as is a heart shape which is known as a "Sweetheart" iron...very nice steel from days of old. Real rosewood handles are a bonus...but stained beech ones are not always an indication of a lower quality model.

And as a result...whisper fine shavings...

DSC_0697.JPG

...this time on softwood but unless you are into hard exotics...will be fine for you (although this also works well on hardwoods.)

As others have said...try to find ones without shiny lever caps....rounded tops to the iron which look modern.

You might find these rare at bootfairs but that one was £2....so you can get them. And it wasn't early-o'clock either..just a bit earlier than someone who knows what they are looking for...so hit that research first and grab a bargain.

If you want instant working, new one out of the box...buy a Quangsheng from Workshop Heaven and you can't really go wrong for the money.

Jim

Thank you. I have tried to do a little research on them but its still a bit confusing.

I think i'll check out some boot sales in future. Right now I think i might buy something new or from second hand dealer as i'd like to get on with some projects soon.

Back