Wot, no boot sale thread?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it's been left to me to start the thread this week. Unless I've missed it, which seems rather more likely.

A bumper weekend for me. I came home with...

DSC_8612.jpg

A generic marking gauge, £1. I've converted that to take a pencil instead of a point.
A 13mm spanner to replace a missing one from my set, £1.
A Sorby 7/8" bevel edge chisel, 20p.
A combination India stone and box, £2. It's covered in grimy oil (standard) but otherwise it looks unused and is as flat as a pancake.
An unnamed mortise gauge, £1.

And this lot...

DSC_8613.jpg

DSC_8619.jpg

A Thor rawhide hammer, £1.
A set of Eclipse 33 trammel heads, £2.
A Record 050 combination plane. The depth stop for sliding part (beading stop?) is missing, as are all but two cutters.
An a little storage-organiser thing. this with the 050 were £8.

Unfortunately the mortise gauge may be a write off. When I bought it I never noticed a split at the screw end, reaching right up to the captive brass nut (for want of a better term). The stock was stuck fast and my trying to get it off snapped the end right off :(

The split in the mortise gauge can very probably be glued or filled with a shim of veneer and glued, but it's overall a nice haul regardless :D

Not bad at all! (Bet it only cost you £50 in petrol getting there and back!)

By the way, did you know that the faces in rawhide mallets are replacable if needs be? They were known as 'bacon-rind hammers' in one place I worked - a name I rather like.

Good stuff Dave, and good prices too.

We missed booting this week in favour of the sawmill open day but roll on next week ... (hammer)

Ooo, nice haul, Dave. Worth a go at repairing the gauge, I'd have thought. Failing that, has anyone ever rebuilt one using the metalwork but with fresh timber? I wonder, 'cos I had an absolute basket case who's metal parts I couldn't quite bring myself to ditch...

Beautiful sale-ing weather this weekend, and I couldn't go. Le sigh.

Nice one Dave! I bought a Thor hammer at a bootfair once and replaced the leather with some I had just rolled up and glued and it is fantastic. The copper end is easy to refurbish.

I would replace all the wood in the gauge as well...a little piece of rosewood would probably do...I may have a gauge size piece...or even a gauge stem going begging if you want it just PM me.

I suspect there are those who think that Jim has gone on holiday...and rumours of my demise are grossly exaggerated! :mrgreen:

Work has beaten me twice so far but not this weekend! 8)

So...where to begin? Perhaps a group photo?

DSC_0828.JPG

A healthy tool element scattered with tool buying items...i.e. I buy them...sell them and use the money to buy tools...so I make no apology for the non-tool items, rather add to encourage others to do the same.

So at FIVE-A-BLINKING-CLOCK...(clocks sprung forward and all that!)...after only two hours sleep...here are the details...

DSC_0829.JPG

Firstly...a rather nice little Dremel table saw...4" job...a late purchase dropped back to the "mother ship"...and nearly sold by my (nearly ex) - wife whilst I was away on another forage...for £20! (How very dare she!!! :mrgreen: ) About a dozen other buyers were after it hidden below the stall! Since it only cost me £3....I wouldn't have been too sad but I wanted to keep it and it runs like a dream!

Next up...

DSC_0830.JPG

One of those multiplier chuck thingies which are always fun...a precision bearing drive for something soon to be made into something else and a tyre gauge (Schrader!) all for 50p!

A beautiful little light meter...(tool profit money)...for 10p...

DSC_0831.JPG

....couldn't resist that!

A WODEN 194 vise (yeh yeh yeh ANOTHER ONE!)...only a quid with a nice new and VERY sharp rasp of ancient vintage...

DSC_0832.JPG

...another quid.

I needed some nice old number stamps...so this selection for only £7 in all was a bargain...

DSC_0834.JPG

and as can be seen through this 50p worth of bench magnifier (beautiful lump of glass)....

DSC_0833.JPG

...is a lovely old font! The two number sets came with an incomplete (J missing! (homer) ) letter stamps...so real bargain indeed!

Next....

DSC_0839.JPG

A Griffen-Beck microscope...complete with counting right angle optical attachment...sold by a lady later taken away by men in white coats for a quid! That's going up on Fleabay (as soon as I have finished playing with it!)...more tool money!

....and various other bits and bobs of electronic and hifi nature like this photo lamp for my camera setup...and an irresistible SME tone arm...a blast from the past for a quid together!!

DSC_0841.JPG

I will pick up the Thorens deck to go with it next week! :mrgreen: :wink:

Oh and finally for those with good eyesight in the first group photo...there was this horn...

DSC_0843.JPG

...which was attached to this little beauty....

DSC_0842.JPG

Blew the rest of my entire budget...offered for £17...bartered down from an extortionate score....

Ok ok...it's had a hard life in the last 150 odd years...

DSC_0844.JPG

...and I'm kind of hesitant to fix this wonderful repair...it is almost beautiful in it's crudity...but apart from a "Jacobized" cutter...it is rather nice other than that!

DSC_0846.JPG

Gunmetal (?) with a steel sole....

DSC_0847.JPG

....tight mouth...well it will be when I straighten the beautiful old WARD iron out...

DSC_0845.JPG

The horn has been dinged about a bit...

DSC_0849.JPG

...but generally Mr W. PYLE did look after it...

DSC_0848.JPG

Oh...and I bought another radio!

DSC_0837.JPG

...that with last week's radio should give me enough profit for my next infill...or the old Stanley No.10 cabinetmaker that the guy is bringing next week! 8)

Jim

A letter punch set without a J isn't much use to someone called Jimi, surely?

(he said grumpily - last car boot up here the only thing worth buying was a 20p screwdriver)

jimi43":aag0ykgj said:
Oh and finally for those with good eyesight in the first group photo...there was this horn...

DSC_0843.JPG

...which was attached to this little beauty....

DSC_0842.JPG

Blew the rest of my entire budget...offered for £17...bartered down from an extortionate score....

Ok ok...it's had a hard life in the last 150 odd years...

DSC_0844.JPG

...and I'm kind of hesitant to fix this wonderful repair...it is almost beautiful in it's crudity...but apart from a "Jacobized" cutter...it is rather nice other than that!

DSC_0846.JPG

Gunmetal (?) with a steel sole....

DSC_0847.JPG

....tight mouth...well it will be when I straighten the beautiful old WARD iron out...

DSC_0845.JPG

The horn has been dinged about a bit...

DSC_0849.JPG

...but generally Mr W. PYLE did look after it...

DSC_0848.JPG

Jim

some gloat jim!!!

i will be posting some nice tools up later

adidat

dickm":3quwwyum said:

(he said grumpily - last car boot up here the only thing worth buying was a 20p screwdriver)

HA! Now see...what I thought I would do was use the old system of "I" like in John Sorby's stamp...I.Sorby....

That works.... :oops:

I can do KT Tools though! :mrgreen:

adidat":3quwwyum said:
...........some gloat jim!!!

adidat

Puts pay to the sceptics of bootfairs and early starts eh Chris!?

Plus I save myself £300 gym membership a year! And it only cost me £1 in petrol....most of which was getting out of the bloody field! :mrgreen: :D

Jim

jimi43":2x4anxzo said:
dickm":2x4anxzo said:

HA! Now see...what I thought I would do was use the old system of "I" like in John Sorby's stamp...I.Sorby....

That works.... :oops:

I can do KT Tools though! :mrgreen:

adidat":2x4anxzo said:
...........some gloat jim!!!

adidat

Put's pay to the sceptics of bootfairs and early starts eh Chris!?

Plus I save myself £300 gym membership a year! And it only cost me £1 in petrol....most of which was getting out of the bloody field! :mrgreen: :D

Jim

Jimi you got a pm :D

Regards,

ali

Thank you for the votes of confidence everyone.

Cheshirechappie":17d993op said:
Not bad at all! (Bet it only cost you £50 in petrol getting there and back!)
By the way, did you know that the faces in rawhide mallets are replacable if needs be? They were known as 'bacon-rind hammers' in one place I worked - a name I rather like.

According to google it's only 6.1 miles from where I live :wink: . I guessed / hoped the faces would be replaceable so thank you for confirming. I might use a hard wood instead of leather though. I like that name, bacon rind hammers (hammer)

jimi43":17d993op said:
I suspect there are those who think that Jim has gone on holiday...and rumours of my demise are grossly exaggerated! :mrgreen:

Thank heavens Jim! For a scary moment I thought I was going alone... and I don't like being the centre of attention :oops: Excellent haul, I have one of those airband radios too. And thank you for the kind offer of a rosewood offcut. It's a project for the future I think as the damage is rather worse than I suggested. The split was only the starting point, the whole end of the stem snapped off jaggedly across the grain.

No skills":17d993op said:
Nice hauls there!
Dave, where did you go?

Thanks you, Dunton is my bootsale of choice. I must admit though, I'm not man enough to get up at the crack of dawn like Jim!

Back