Worth watching again in super low motion HD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SammyQ":3p4ygl3y said:
And one absolutely torn apart tool. What price a new saw of that standard?

Sam

I think the cabinet saws run about $3500 and the contractor's saws run about $1800. Before tax & shipping.

Kirk

Considering how long saw stop has been around now it still hasn't really caught on, I suspect because of the damage done to the machine.

But it's old technology now, the latest from another inventor drops the saw blade without damaging the blade or the machine.

gardenshed":e1fkdm25 said:
Considering how long saw stop has been around now it still hasn't really caught on, I suspect because of the damage done to the machine.

But it's old technology now, the latest from another inventor drops the saw blade without damaging the blade or the machine.

I don't have sales figures, but at least on the shiny tool forums they're pretty popular. And they're replacing a lot of older saws in school shops over here because of the improved safety (and fear of lawsuits). They are pretty pricey.

As far as damaging the machine, they have a replaceable cartridge that takes the damage, and cost under $100 to replace. That's the aluminum piece you see getting trashed in the video. No other damage on the machine, though it usually destroys the saw blade too.

The blade drop thing may or may not be enough by itself. I would hope that it is.

Kirk

It's caught on with the US Health and Safety wallahs. They are considering making it illegal NOT to fit this to all saws on manufacture.
The way the Americans in general use circular saws, they need this, but it won't stop kick-back, which can occur whatever precautions you take. Of course it will also sell more saws. It's a good idea as a 'fail-safe', but will it add a false sense of security, leading to more risk taking. Because if it ever fails to work! Ouch! Keep the saw blade guarded and use push-sticks. Stand to one side, and a 'saw-stop' should be irrelevant.

Benchwayze":1beldx6a said:
It's caught on with the US Health and Safety wallahs. They are considering making it illegal NOT to fit this to all saws on manufacture.
The way the Americans in general use circular saws, they need this, but it won't stop kick-back, which can occur whatever precautions you take. Of course it will also sell more saws. It's a good idea as a 'fail-safe', but will it add a false sense of security, leading to more risk taking. Because if it ever fails to work! Ouch! Keep the saw blade guarded and use push-sticks. Stand to one side, and a 'saw-stop' should be irrelevant.
Agree with John...use the saw correctly and sensibly and this device just isn't needed, but so many users on the other side of the 'big wet' appear to have a cavalier regard to basic elfn'safety so a device like this is of benefit. One of the main reasons why I get extremely irritated :twisted: when I filck through copies of FWW as there inevitably seems to be some illustration of a 'murrican doing something stupid with a table saw - Rob

gardenshed":3230056x said:

Not necessarily so. If you're referring to the guy demonstrating on YouTube with a transparent SUVA-style guard, I went into this in great detail some months back. His patents (then - may have changed now) do NOT cover the rotation stop safety mechanism, only dust control.

As far as I could then tell, given the crucial bit isn't in the public domain, the system uses an electrical shunt to dump kinetic energy from the blade, in a manner very similar to conventional saw brakes. The application isn't novel, and the approach has the potential to either not work, or to significantly damage the saw in a real-life emergency.

My opinion, and it is only one person's opinion, is that the Saw Stop leaves it in the dust. Given how fast the thing has to respond to minimise injury, an explosive cartridge is a tried and tested approach*. The Saw Stop tables are designed so that the replacement parts are quickly fitted. Furthermore, there are too many variables for any such a mechanism to ever be a safe retro-fit to third party products, which, I believe, is why Saw Stop themselves don't offer it.

If there's yet another contender, please post a link.

Cheers,

E. (I have no link to Saw Stop whatsoever - just curious about the whole thing).

*explosive cartridges are ubiquitous in airbags, also used in ejector seats and spacecraft. The first two are designed to remain unused for long periods without performance deteriorating.

Latest posts

Back