Worth buying? Progress Elliot No. 12 Junior Bench Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m fairly new to woodworking, looking for some power tools to buy for my shop.

I’ve found this Progress Elliot drill, but I’ve got no experience with these, and wondered if anyone could help.

Would this be a good purchase for £110?

The seller’s said it’s all working.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 328EF889-BE74-4946-81E6-DDD92BF41176.jpeg
    328EF889-BE74-4946-81E6-DDD92BF41176.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 0F90AAFE-9CAB-476A-A82D-E57E8A2FB255.jpeg
    0F90AAFE-9CAB-476A-A82D-E57E8A2FB255.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 46
  • AC2AD7D1-16F4-4865-8519-DA41828A2AB6.jpeg
    AC2AD7D1-16F4-4865-8519-DA41828A2AB6.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 9CC748F5-5784-4899-857C-899FC99B3B45.jpeg
    9CC748F5-5784-4899-857C-899FC99B3B45.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I would also say grab it. Made in the days when tools were built to actually do the job intended. Looks like it's been reasonably well cared for.
Regards
John

I would also say grab it. Made in the days when tools were built to actually do the job intended. Looks like it's been reasonably well cared for.
Regards
John
Thanks, I’m hopefully going to collect it next week, luckily it’s not too far from where I live. If it’s survived for this long I’m sure it must be well built. Someone I know recently brought a new Ryobi drill press, the handle to move the drill bit up/down broke within in a few days of use! Regards, Ewan.

Last edited:
Beware how heavy these things can be! I cannot pickup my Fobco start in one piece! Even in two pieces (base/pillar ans head/motor) it is a struggle!

it’s the weight you want for stability, but if you’re not prepared for it you end up with a lump you can’t lift into your car!

shouldn't be but make sure there's no wobble in the quill shaft and or somewhere to adjust it....and try it out with a 1/2"drill and a peice of metal before buying....that will show everything up.....

shouldn't be but make sure there's no wobble in the quill shaft and or somewhere to adjust it....and try it out with a 1/2"drill and a peice of metal before buying....that will show everything up.....
Thanks for the advice, I’ve asked the seller and they’ve done a test piece for me and it’s all square, no “deviation” when drilling holes and there’s no wobble when the chuck’s spinning. How would I check for somewhere to adjust the quill? Regards, Ewan.

Beware how heavy these things can be! I cannot pickup my Fobco start in one piece! Even in two pieces (base/pillar ans head/motor) it is a struggle!

it’s the weight you want for stability, but if you’re not prepared for it you end up with a lump you can’t lift into your car!
Thanks, this was a concern for me, I’m going to bring some Alan keys, screwdrivers, etcetera, a van, and a friend or two. Hopefully this’ll be enough.

See here for some info on Progress machines. It looks a bit like a 12S, but bench mounting. You won't regret buying it. That seems an OK price, Much more drill for your money than what's made these days.

See here for some info on Progress machines. It looks a bit like a 12S, but bench mounting. You won't regret buying it. That seems an OK price, Much more drill for your money than what's made these days.
Thanks for replying, I’ve just noticed it doesn’t have a drill stop, do you still think this would be fine?

EDIT: just read the article on lathes.com, great read, apparently there’s a ruler inside the little window on the front, so this should be a problem.

Last edited:
Back