Worst things about your current workshop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
1) No natural light
2) Small
3) Too much moisture to keep "project" wood
4) So close to the neighbours I worry about how much noise I make
5) Too hot in the summer

And.....

6)
7).....

Plenty of shortcomings at the mo', although most can be remedied.

1. Flat roof needs repairing/replacing - it leaks!
2. Single power socket - needs a zillion more
3. Limited natural light from a single small window
4. Have to share with a fridge/freezer and washing machine/dryer
5. No storage - first project is to build some workshop cabinets & shelves
6. Cold and damp (see points 1 & 2)
7. Because it's an attached garage and in a residential area, noise will be a limiting factor

Come on Pete, 'tis supposed to be a list!!!

Adam

6. Flat roof needs repairing/replacing - it leaks!
7. Single power socket - needs a zillion more
8. Limited natural light from a single small window
9. Have to share with a fridge/freezer and washing machine/dryer
10. No storage - first project is to build some workshop cabinets & shelves
11. Cold and damp (see points 1 & 2)
12. Because it's an attached garage and in a residential area, noise will be a limiting factor

So everyone else thats....

13. 200 quid a month is just too expensive
14. 3 Miles up the road make it to easy to think of an excuse not to go
15. Pain in the but landlord
16. Roof, ha!
17. Insul what?
18. Threat of death from exposure during winter months
19. Its to small

Signal

20. The floor slopes in all directions
21. Sometimes all that natural light flooding in is just too much...
22. It's got a Maxi in it :wink:

Everything else has been pretty much covered. Too cold in winter, too hot in summer, the worst possible conditions for storing wood etc etc It's a hard life torturing wood...

Cheers, Alf

23) No running water so I have to clean all glue/brushes in the house

And just remembered theres a pot of glue I was supposed to bring in and clean last night. <insert word here>

Adam

Well, it begins with 'B' ..... :cry:

24) It was only after I built it I found polystyrene insulation and electric cable should not touch each other......
25) When angle grinding the excess from a coach bolt on the door hinges, which is red hot, don't let it fall into your boots, 'cos no matter how fast you get those laces undone, its no quick enough

26) Its got a concrete floor and I did not level it properly
27) I have not installed a collector system
28) My bench & workstation heights are not the same so I do not have a clear run when using the RAS.
29) Its not big enough !!!

31 no sound insulation and so I can't work late as the garage is part of the house :(

I have 1-31 plus

32.There's a giant freezer in the corner

33. All the wifes gardening stuff.........which should be in the shed.

Aidan.

34. concrete floor
35. not enough natural light
36. space taken up by staircase to loft
37. not enough wall space
38. only single door access - 'til I start using the adjoining garage.

But, hey, we all have 'good' and 'bad' things - but we're all well off 'cos we've all got workshops!

Cheers, Trev.

adam

24) It was only after I built it I found polystyrene insulation and electric cable should not touch each other......

I read about the degradation of the cable before I installed the poly in my workshop & routed all the cable out of the way. I also did an experiment and sandwiched a piece of cable between 2 pieces of poly held with an elastic band. In nearly 12 months I can see degradation at all. This is not a scientific test of course only food for thought.

AndyP

Ahhh As an electrical and electronics design engineer before deserting to lecture for more dosh, I believe I can shed some light on this

The problem is not a degredation of the insulation due to contact with the polystyrene but a build up of heat as there is no air flow around the cable which may lead to failure and breakdown followed by fire. The IEE wiring regs have guidance for this and if they are contravened your insurance will be voided in the event of a house fire caused by the wiring. you have been warned!!!

OK. The 16th edition of the IEE wiring regulations have tables of cable ratings with the default installation method being direct clipped to a wall. The current carrying capacities for single core twin and earth double insulated PVC cables (grey flat stuff) is as follows:

1mm 15A (lighting)
1.5mm 19.5A (lighting)
2.5mm 24A
4mm 32A
6mm 41A

When the cables are placed within (sandwiched and touching) an insulating material such as your poly, then you must apply a derating factor to them as follows:

run length factor
50mm 0.89
100mm 0.81
200mm 0.68
400mm 0.55
500mmm and over 0.5

So, if you have a run more than 1/2m, then you must use cable that is rated for double the current carrying capacity as the derating factor is 0.5.
So 6mm in place of 2.5mm for mains wiring and 2.5mm in place of 1mm or 1.5mm for lighting.

The mains should be wired in a ring circuit (start at fuse and connect to each socket in turn until you return to the fuse again) and protected by a max. of 32A fuse of MCB.

Hope this:
a is not too boring
b is useful

Cheers

Tony

Latest posts

Back