worst operator award goes to.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WellsWood":29b9x5zr said:
Really?":29b9x5zr said:
- Got something to say? Say it to my face, don't hide behind some website.

............Honestly, some of the most pointless and least informative woodworking videos I've seen. I mean, what exactly is the guy with the planer even trying to achieve?

Oh come on WW...why not say what you really mean! :mrgreen:

No point in being polite mate... :wink:

I now know how to drill holes in a straight line...and stop when the screech occurs...so it's not all wasted....

I think some edit merging of Jaws with "oh *!&T" radial saw calamity would be worth seeing though. Possible contender for the Darwin Awards....

I have a sneaky feeling that this is all about viral marketing though... and I simply love the "As seen on UKWorkshop.co.uk byline. I trust we get a commission!? Really!!!

Jim

Really?":3b972pcs said:
Wow - I'm the "bloke" who posted this video. Got something to say? Say it to my face, don't hide behind some website.

Look on my subscription list - I have maybe 30 videos in total. I've been working with wood for 40 years, I do it professionally and make quite a nice living from it. You arm chair quarterbacks need to get a life - safety is a very important component of my work and at my school. I do it every day, have taught classes for going on 20 years, and make a full time living at it. What's your claim to fame, besides criticizing someone else's technique?

Please.... I'd like to see your body of work for the last 30 years.

Oh, and by the way - I'm not a bloke. I'm a female who reads idiotic postings like yours and wonders if you ever actually make something, instead about tinkering all day and criticizing other's work.

Really - I'd expect more from you "blokes".

Sorry, when you criticize my work - you better be able to back it up. Shoot, I'm just guessing half of you are missing a digit, as well as a few brain cells. Good luck with that. LOL

So that's why I could never get on with electrical hand-planers. I'm just a bloke! #-o

PS. I don't think your work was being criticised; For starters, we didn't see any.
It's your machine handling that came in for the slating. And as already said, you've been 'at it', long enough now to know better.

Have a nice day..
:wink:

Really?":1t8z32lc said:
Wow - I'm the "bloke" who posted this video. Got something to say? Say it to my face, don't hide behind some website.

Look on my subscription list - I have maybe 30 videos in total. I've been working with wood for 40 years, I do it professionally and make quite a nice living from it. You arm chair quarterbacks need to get a life - safety is a very important component of my work and at my school. I do it every day, have taught classes for going on 20 years, and make a full time living at it. What's your claim to fame, besides criticizing someone else's technique?

Please.... I'd like to see your body of work for the last 30 years.

Oh, and by the way - I'm not a bloke. I'm a female who reads idiotic postings like yours and wonders if you ever actually make something, instead about tinkering all day and criticizing other's work.

Really - I'd expect more from you "blokes".

Sorry, when you criticize my work - you better be able to back it up. Shoot, I'm just guessing half of you are missing a digit, as well as a few brain cells. Good luck with that. LOL

You still haven't explained what the point of the video is.

Andy

I don't buy the 'Viral Advertising', This is just some angry woman who blew her stack and is now trying to justify it.

Maybe you need a blog, it could be called 'The Angry Woodworker'. So much angst!

Have a nice day.

Mick

I go with the angry woman. I bet there was a need for a change of pants after that kick back.... It can happen on big chops saw when cutting to a stop so god knows how that felt with a saw that size...

I haven't watched the video so I've no idea what all the fuss is about there but I must say you have a very objectionable personality.

is your response aimed at me, i feel it might be as i posted the link over.

i did speak to your face, or as direct as possible. i think i put "is this a joke"

who are you teaching in these classes, and what are you teaching? because ignoring when a tool itsnt working properly and pushing it further, and doing more than its capable shows lack of tool competence and mechanical sympathy. skilled craftsmen are a dying breed these days. i am yet to meet (face to face) anothermember of the younger generation who is genuinely interested and dedicated in doing things properly, using the correct techniques and practice using skilled hands. videos like this dont exactly encourage people.

i dont want to discuss finger losses, as i wouldnt wish or want that on anyone, yes i still have all ten digits.

ill happliy post some of my work pictures on here if you dont think im capable. and as for brain cells, i lost a few watching that video as i was completely dumbstruck as to what i was watching. maybe i have missed the point and could learn something. care to help me out?

dickm":6lt7legz said:
I was waiting for the flapping T-shirt to catch in the blades.

I remember a few years ago working late on a gloomy winters night on a building site hanging doors. I was using my old Elu planer (sold now) working away getting ready to go home. Anyway as I was packing up I went to do the zip up on my jacket to find it missing and about 4 inches of zip too. I must have planed it off and I never heard a thing , bloody powerful those old Elu's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brad.

I empathise with your sentiments. The uneducated might well think it's safe to take such risks.
Such a vitriolic response to constructive criticism beggars belief. The woman's philosophies aren't worth worrying over.
The word misandrist comes to mind. :(

What makes me laugh out loud is there is a perfectly serviceable planer/thicknesser in the background AND...a tutorial on how to change the blades without cutting your finger off.

In actual fact...the entire collection of videos seems to be about the dangers of fingers in the workshop...except the ones on the dogs...and maybe even them.

I think we should have an award for this sort of thing...and vote on it at the end of the year.

How about "The Complete Plank" Award? :roll:

Jim

jimi43":xv1tue1v said:
What makes me laugh out loud is there is a perfectly serviceable planer/thicknesser in the background AND...a tutorial on how to change the blades without cutting your finger off.

In actual fact...the entire collection of videos seems to be about the dangers of fingers in the workshop...except the ones on the dogs...and maybe even them.

I think we should have an award for this sort of thing...and vote on it at the end of the year.

How about "The Complete Plank" Award? :roll:

Jim

Haven't watched any other videos apart from the first, but, looking at the shape of the underside of the plank being attacked I would have said the poster of the video was just trying to show how a badly warped block of wood could be flattened quickly using a power planer. The finger moving the swarf was a long way from the blades and would have had one helluva job reaching them from the exhaust port.

plymouth pirate":22kzuw5j said:
The finger moving the swarf was a long way from the blades and would have had one helluva job reaching them from the exhaust port.
Not so on that model/type of planer; I have one and you'd only need to put your fingers in an inch or so to get them hit by the blades.
Also, with the 'apparent' amount of equipment in the shop shown why was no extraction used which would obviate the need to manually remove the chips?

The plane is, I think, the makita 2mm version. Meaning it is the cheapest Makita plane available, but nevertheless a good model. It is a light duty plane, however, and is certainly likely to struggle. Mine often strains on knots and wild grain. It is almost unavoidable; even on a very light pass it will grab at knots and certain grain. The sound on my PC is out of order but her plane appears to me to be visibly struggling.
I can also confirm that the plane blades are easily accessed from the exhaust chute and that one slip of the operators hand would have resulted in blood and presumably no video.
Not really a defendable position methinks. P'raps turn it into a 'English eccentricities' thing and that'll help, eh? Or maybe just hold your hands up, and learn? To tell the truth I have done similar, worse, and not gotten away with it. And I think I posted it as a lesson in what not to do.
Best wishes to y'all
Neil
PS the virutex model is also the same body, I think. Or was. Maybe a bigger motor in the same body?

Subtle approach in all areas of life it would appear Really?

What exacltly are you trying to show in this video? I am asking a serious question before you jump on me too?

All the video seems to be showing is you triying to reduce the thichness of a bit of wood by power planing it across grain with no apparent reason and no explanation? Please explain.

This is a serious request.

Jonzjob":3a8ul2ny said:
Subtle approach in all areas of life it would appear Really?

What exacltly are you trying to show in this video? I am asking a serious question before you jump on me too?

All the video seems to be showing is you triying to reduce the thichness of a bit of wood by power planing it across grain with no apparent reason and no explanation? Please explain.

This is a serious request.

Same here started of with a thick piece of wood finished with a slightly thinner piece of wood and much wood dust, so what was the point of the video? Genuine question.

Errr guys..... it's youtube, it's not the royal lecture society, people post what they want and it doesn't have to have "meaning or a point" it doesn't say it's an instructional video or anything.

doctor Bob":2fty9mlo said:
Errr guys..... it's youtube, it's not the royal lecture society, people post what they want and it doesn't have to have "meaning or a point" it doesn't say it's an instructional video or anything.

...and it doesn't say we can't puppy about it either! :mrgreen:

What actually worries me is that people just starting out watch these things and can potentially have horrendous accidents.

But they're not my fingers so why should I worry!? Life's too short! :mrgreen:

Jim

Latest posts

Back