Worrying scenario?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up on this little snippet in the Independent and then this piece appeared this morning as well, which is slightly worrying, to put it mildly. Whilst the situation in Syria is becoming progressively messier by the day, the use of CBM's could really change the situation...interested to see what others feel on the matter - Rob

Any decision by the British government to deploy British armed services must be made only if it is in Britain's national interest to do so, and in line with UN resolutions. The Afghan conflict arguably met that criterion, the Iraq one far less so.

We can't solve all the world's problems. In this instance, use of Western armed forces could further destabilise an already pretty unstable Middle East. It may not to everyone's taste, but sometimes a nation's internal affairs need to be settled internally, or with intervention by the nations most likely to be affected.

The greater threat to the UK is probably a nuclear-armed Iran. That one is worrying.

RogerS":8k1udml3 said:
I'm more concerned about the hypocrisy exercised by Russia and China at the UN in trying to resolve this.
...and that's one of the other issues that I find puzzling. Why are the Russians propping up the Assad regime? - Rob

woodbloke":3kuv5ca9 said:
RogerS":3kuv5ca9 said:
I'm more concerned about the hypocrisy exercised by Russia and China at the UN in trying to resolve this.
...and that's one of the other issues that I find puzzling. Why are the Russians propping up the Assad regime? - Rob

Oil

Arms sales

And a very large naval base at Tartus. Tartus is the last Russian military base outside the former Soviet Union, and its only Mediterranean fueling spot, sparing Russia’s warships the trip back to their Black Sea bases through straits in Turkey, a NATO member.

And hypocrisy. Their website http://www.rusemb.org.uk/ talks about them not wanting to interfere with the internal politics of a nation state. So I emailed them and asked them if that were the case then why did they march into South Ossetia.

Back