Worn out Irwin Quick-Grip Mini clamps repair or replace?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have several 150mm Irwin Quick-Grip Mini clamps that after years of service no longer clamp up tight. No matter how much pressure I apply, they seem to slip open straight away.

Before I spend an age trying to service / recondition them I was wondering if any one else has had this issue and if there is a simple fix or have they just reached the end of their life?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon89":m5b0jeux said:
Hi All,

I have several 150mm Irwin Quick-Grip Mini clamps that after years of service no longer clamp up tight. No matter how much pressure I apply, they seem to slip open straight away.

Before I spend an age trying to service / recondition them I was wondering if any one else has had this issue and if there is a simple fix or have they just reached the end of their life?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Try turning the bar round so that you are gripping on a less worn section
Brian

I'd take one apart and see the likely cause, but unless it is a simple fix, or you particularly like the challenge of the renovation, I'd buy new, as they are relatively inexpensive. If they were the heavier duty, more expensive Irwin clamps I'd be more inclined to keep them going.

Thanks for the feedback.

Having taken one apart (a 2min job) it was clear nothing was worn.

I gave the steel a quick rub down with some sand paper and applied a bit of bees wax - this has them sliding a lot better and the mechanising is now functioning as it should.

I have also roughened up the top and bottom, I found. Had to do both sides as the mechanising works on both edges.

They are now functioning a lot better. Thanks for the heads up guys :)

Back