Worn Mitre Slot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
The mitre gauge on my saw table and bandsaw table is no longer a good fit in the mitre slots. Is there some simple remedy? Not being an engineer might it be possible to hammer out a bit of extra width in the metal strip or must I replace it? Clearly I can't reduce the width of the slot in the tables. Any suggestions very welcome.
I guess this might be a common query - I have tried using the 'search' facility without immediate success.
Fred.

Fred,

try a centre punch on the side of the mitre gauge runner if the fit is not to sloppy the raised bur might be just enough to pinch it up again.

Failing that I have run a length of masking tape down one of my gauges

SIgnal

If you could get someone to run a couple of beads of weld at each end of the bar, these could be filed down to width.

Jason

fred you could use that brown tape one layer at a time till it just fits it worked for me untill i got some alu bar and fitted that

Fred

I found the centre punch in four places (2 left side + 2 right side) worked quite ell as long as the gap is not too wide

Fred
I know you said you didn't fancy engineering, but if it's not a T-slot, then you ought to be able to get a piece of nicely fitting steel from a local blacksmith - the slots are usually a nice "round" number width (like 3/8" or something).
Then again, if it's a T-slot, you could probably make it out of two pieces of steel and some araldite/rivets?

Fred, if the bar is steel, as Signal said, a punch will help. If still loose, a few whacks with a club or heavy ball pein hammer will do, then file to suit. Another option, with steel or alu is alu tape. Wears eventually but easy to replace.

Fred
I would eco what Tony said, the centre punch is the easiest method by far. I would do it slightly differently as I would only centre punch one edge, this will push the bar against theone side of the slot and reduce any tendancy to invoke an angle. Maybe i'm too fussy, but thats the way i would go.

Bean

Thanks to everybody. The replies are splendid and one or other is bound to work. I thank you all.
Fred.
p.s. the thing was that I hadn't noticed this 32nd inch play before. Whenever I've checked the 90 degree angle with the saw blade I've naturally pushed the engineer's square against the blade and the mitre gauge and so of course no play showed up. You live and learn.
F.

Fred it seems to be a commom problem, I have even felt play in the mitre slot of expensive saws, but the economical ones are the worst, mine had possibly more play than yours, but was sorted the same way.

Bean

Back