Worlds richest man is a woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, nearly a woodworker

Since the dollar is not doing so well, the worlds richest man is currently the owner of IKEA!!!

YES. A furniture emporium.

Apparently Bill Gates is now second (until the exchange rate becomes more favourable

Interesting Ce n'est pas?

Cheers

Tony

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!
No, no, No, NO, NO!

Ingvar Kamprad is NOT a woodworker. He is a businessman! He is very good at what he does, namely paying semi-skilled people in very poor countries a pittance to make stuff which appeals to the undiscriminating masses in western europe. The fact that it is made from wood which is almost certainly raped from the groud (I don't recall that Romania is at the forefront of sustainable forestry), and that the factories are not run to anything like the same standards of safety and welfare as would be compulsory in the UK completely bypasses the consciousness of the customer. It looks pretty (to the eyes of some) and that is the top and bottom of it.
Entrepreneur, yes. Woodworker, I don't think so.
Steve
PS [legal note] Allegedly [/legal note]

Steve,

Think you're maybe right there. Read the Forbes Fortune 500 article a month or so ago. Not sure Ikea can be blamed for the pure economics of sourcing in former Eastern Bloc countries and the Far East. There is little that the buying public can do or have the inclination to do something when perceived value for money and our tastes govern our spending habits.

Rgds

Noel

Noely":f660vzer said:
Read the Forbes Fortune 500 article a month or so ago

You have got too much time on your hands-you should be reading Trad Wood or something :shock: :D
Cheers,
Philly :D

Philly,

Was looking for your name on the list but didn't see it. Obviously you must be in the hard-up part of the list from 501 to 1000.........

Rgds

Noel, who does not subcribe to Trad WW.

Steve

Sore point? I did say nearly a woodworker

DaveL
Not too much time (if only!!) I heard it on the radio on way to work this morning

Cheers

Tony

How much is Ingvar Kamprad worth then?
The last I heard, Bill Gates had $100 for every man, woman & child on the planet at $600 billion & 10 cents ;)

Latest posts

Back