Workzone Router Collet Stuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingforaday

Reaction score
I bought one of these cheapy (Aldi/Lidl?) things second hand as it came with a router table very cheap. I’ve never tried a router table (I use a Makita plunge router and a Bosch trim router for everything at the moment) so I was keen to see if it was a useful addition.
I gave it a quick test with the bit the guy left in it and all was well, turned it off, moved house, forgot all about it.

I’ve just dug it out and attempted to change the bit and I can’t undo the collet. Every time I turn it with a spanner it just forces the button out… am I being too weak when pressing the button?! or is there some knack to this?

thanks!

I don’t have the tool you are asking about, but, I would try in this order:
1) There are sometimes several flat-spots on the shaft for the button to press on, try all of them.
2) It’s possible that the pin or shaft is worn, which pressing harder will solve, but that seems unlikely unless the previous owner has been changing bits hundreds of times. Try pressing harder anyway.
3) Something (the pin or the hole) has deformed. Neither is good, neither will be fixed by pressing harder. Taking it apart is the only way to be sure, but that has risk, if nothing elseyou can lose springs.

Good luck!

Cheers guys, my first thought was “spray wd40 all over it” - figured I’d ask to see if there was anything obvious I was missing. I’ll have another go at it later today and see if I get any further.

I think every router Ive ever seen has provision on the spindle for a spanner, it might have to be a thin one but its useually there, Ive got an angle grinder with the same problem and I expect the locking pin was made of some cheap soft steel, but again there are spanner flats to fall back on. Btw I wouldn't put any oil anywhere near it, you might just be lubricating the “ramp” the pin is now riding up on!

Back