workzone bench grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilsworkshop

Reaction score
hi i have just got a workzone bench grinder and i need a sharpning stone for lathe tools and im not sure what im supposed to buy for it any chance anyone has a link so i can buy from amazon ?
Slow running wet grinding disc Ø 200 x 40 x 20mm
- Fast running dry grinding disc Ø 150 x 20 x 12.7mm
sorry guys i just dont know what im supposed to buy for it

Attachments

• Screenshot_17.png
    Screenshot_17.png
    267 KB · Views: 238
As far as turning tools are concerned, don't worry about the wet wheel - it's as much use as a chocolate kettle. You need a wheel suitable for HSS, often white or ruby. 80 grit or thereabouts, I'd think - fine ones are great for touching up, but coarse ones are better for shaping and removing more steel. Someone else will give you more idea - I have no idea what grit mine are. :p Most are supplied with bushes to reduce the hole size as they are made to fit a variety of grinders, just check before you buy.

If you find the wet wheel is hopelessy off centre (mine was) you cannot true it by hand - it revolves too slowly, and whatever you're using will ride the highs and lows. You need to fix the grinder down and fix (somehow ....... anyhow) a block down that you can secure the dresser/devil stone to. Fix it so it just touches and let the wheel run until there is no noise from its touching. When there is no noise, move the dresser again to just touch and let run again. Repeat until you hear its touching all the way around the wheel and you'll know the wheel is running true.

Sounds like a lot of faffage to me, a simple bench grinder with 120 or 180 grit white wheels and a jig of choice for fast repeatable grinds. Wet wheel way to slow for turning tools and the dry wheel shown in the above image is too course and too narrow for an easy job on resharpening.

Back