Worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding our kitchen and will soon be faced with the task of cutting the worktop's right angled faces for a good fit with a mitre at the front. As I've only two joints to cut any tips on how to do it without a jig?
I've been reading up on Google about jigs and it appears to me that they are less than ideal if the walls are not at 90 to each other.

Sorry mods, wrong section, could you possibly move it?

Roy.

Digit":33v53smf said:
I've been reading up on Google about jigs and it appears to me that they are less than ideal if the walls are not at 90 to each other.

Roy.

There are very few kitchens that have walls perfectly square to one another, you just adjust the joint to fit the walls, the jig makes this quiet easy.

Just hire a jig or if you know some one close to you with a jig get them to run you out an MDF copy of theirs, it doesn`t matter if you damage it then.

By "right angled faces" do you mean that the worktops are square edged? If so, no need for a jig - just butt joint them.

If not, as Doug says.

No Karl, I meant that the two worktops meet at right angles. As for hire, no chance locally and I know no kitchen fitters. B & Q want £79 for a jig. I was thinking that there seems to be no reason why a can't make one, what was puzzling me is how to ensure that the cut faces match if the tops meet at more or less than 90 degrees.

Roy.

Roy
What Doug B said is right. The jig makes it very easy to offset for walls that are out of alignment. If you had lived nearer, you could have borrowed mine. You should get instructions if you hire one or plenty of info on the net but I still have mine and could scan and email if you wanted.

Just remember to scribe the backs of the worktops to the walls (if needed) and trim those before cutting the conrer joints.

Bob

just had a quick look and this might enlighten you http://www.faithfulltools.com/support/F ... ctions.pdf

Roy,

Just google "worktop joint template instructions" it brings up loads of stuff, & then look for out of square walls.
Save a lot of typing :)

Roy

You can pick up a cheap jig on ebay, probably would not last to long if you were doing kitchens everyday but should cut a couple of joints.

Tom

That's one of the things I was thinking of, it was how to ensure that I could adjust for any angular displacements. I imagine there are some square kitchens out there, somewhere!

Roy.

Digit":29ou3o8o said:
That's one of the things I was thinking of, it was how to ensure that I could ajust for any angular displacements. I imagine there are some square kitchens out there, somewhere!

Roy.

Well I haven't found one yet though the one I've just built is very close :lol: rare as rocking horse s**t I think

Buy a proper jig, do the work, then stick it on eBay. With luck, the whole process will only cost you £20-30 and you've got the piece of mind of having the proper professional jig rather than a toy.

Oh to be wealthy! :lol:
To be honest Rog it goes against the grain to buy something I could make! After all, that's what this pastime is all about.
The only things in my worshop that I have boughtt are TS, planer, thicknesser and drill press, pretty much everything else is home made, and even the machines have all been modified. I like making jigs etc.

Roy.

If I knew where mine was I'd send some measurements, they are a pretty simple thing - if your using the worktop bolts to pull the tops together then buy them first before you make a jig to cut them - I've come across two different styles, one of which didnt really suit the jig I've got.

And buy the best router blade you can afford, I always use a new one for each kitchen, trend ones seem good, make sure it's the pro one and not the craft range though.

I got my jig cheap from ebay, £40 inc post iirc, and it is still perfectly good now after 3 years

Roy

My jig is within easy reach. I'm happy to make a paper template which can be folded and posted to you if you wish. You might have to iron the creases out of course :) Mine is a Howdens jig btw

pm me with your address if you want me to send it

Bob

Thanks Bob but at the moment I have found a set on the Bay. I have also found that my local Jewsons can hire me one but will need several days notice as the local branch doesn't carry them.
I have also been looking on E-bay, I have been warned that the cheapo versions can bend if you lean on the router, (put packing underneath?) otherwise for two cuts there seems little point in buying expensive ones.
What is you view?
Jewsons want £22.20 for a day's hire.

Roy.

Digit":3nriyoi5 said:
Thanks Bob but at the moment I have found a set on the Bay. I have also found that my local Jewsons can hire me one but will need several days notice as the local branch doesn't carry them.
I have also been looking on E-bay, I have been warned that the cheapo versions can bend if you lean on the router, (put packing underneath?) otherwise for two cuts there seems little point in buying expensive ones.
What is you view?
Jewsons want £22.20 for a day's hire.

Roy.

Seems a lot for 1 day hire of something with a retail value of less than £100 :roll: My Howden jig cost me around £80 years ago when they were probably more expensive than now.

I initially borrowed one from the college and made one from it out of 10mm MDF. i used it a number of times without problem but admit that the Howdens jig is very rigid and much better to use.

if you can get a decent quality s/h one on the bay for under £40 you can use it and re-sell at little or no cost therwise I'd make it as time wouldn't cost anything.

Bob

My local Jewsons are pricey, I normally say I want to hire it, not buy it!

What makes it more pricey is that to keep the kitchen running I need to hire twice, so I'll do as you say. Many thanks!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back