Worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now an ex-kitchen fitter.

In fact I appear to be an 'ex' almost anything you care to name now. After seven out of eight weeks of intensive physio, I can walk and move well but I'm not allowed to lift anything.

Anyway..... in all the years I've fitted kitchens I have only once used a jig for the worktops and I had to borrow that, never did trust these new fangled machines, what's wrong with a saw? Much cheaper too!. I always did them by hand!! It seems a fairly simple joint, just and straight line and a 45 degree turn on the end. One reason is that I like the widest tops I can get as I tended to build the carcases out of 600mm boards and only a few of the better jigs were wide enough. I did dowel or biscuit and bolt the joints of course but that can be done by hand too. You really don't NEED to use the jig.

The attached is the only one I have pic of and it is, admittedly not the best joint I've ever seen (my excuse is that the pattern on the top makes it look worse :oops: )but it was done in a hurry with a blunt old panel saw!

Whichever way you decide - happy fitting.

Attachments

• DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 473
Very neat! If you don't mind me asking, what have been upto?

Roy.

I bought mine from a company on e-bay. I think it was kitchen surplus centre or something similar. Cost me about £40 and it is a solid laminate one, good quality and very accurate. Can also cope with out of square walls. I had a Unika one before this and it is just as good. HTH. :wink:

Digit":3rq26r78 said:
Very neat! If you don't mind me asking, what have been upto?

Roy.

Hi Roy,

Better not devote too much space on this thread to my problems!! Anyway, I managed to slip THREE disks trying to carry a sink base unit up a narrow and steep flight of stairs eighteen months ago. Had surgery but the poor old body decided that I hadn't had enough pain so decided to add a few extras into the mix. 1) Stenosis - there is bone growth pressing on the nerves in the spinal chord so the left leg does not wish to co-operate with my intentions. 2) One vertebrae is riddled with arthritis and is collapsing so the surgeon can't use it to strap a metal plate over the spine. If I do have to have another op, it would mean the whole bottom half of the spine would be rigid. I have been in a rehabilitation centre for the last seven weeks with another to go (if I can get back - there is a three foot high snow drift up against the front door as I type) They have managed to rebuild all my muscles after lack of use. Quite funny really, when they first saw me they thought I was under nourished and insisted on feeding me up before the hard work started. They didn't know I have always been a stick insect. No matter how much they shoved down me, my weight resolutely stayed the same. I am now a stick insect with ridges. It is nice to be able to saw and plane wood without collapsing in an exhausted heap after five minutes so the whole thing has been worthwhile if somewhat uncomfortable at times. All the others on the course are young and I think they are a little surprised that this sixty five year old English person is fitter and stronger than most of them. Its the puddings!

Still won't be able to lift anything heavy so will have to work on small stuff from now on.

They let me out most weekends but my wife has a list so there is not much time to get on the net - for some reason she thinks our new kitchen is more important than my rest and rehabilitation. I do an hour here and there - almost finished after doing two weeks work in three months. Pics are on the blog.

Once the course is finished, I can get back on the forum and try and annoy a few people like normal.

Hope things are well with you

Jesus Gordon it makes me wince just to read it! You have been through the mill, I've had spinal trouble and know the pain. Strange things is, and hopefully you will be as fortunate, my damaged vertebral discs seem to have undergone some healing in recent years. So fingers crossed for you.

Roy.

mailee":yoslshhf said:
I bought mine from a company on e-bay. I think it was kitchen surplus centre or something similar. Cost me about £40 and it is a solid laminate one, good quality and very accurate. Can also cope with out of square walls.

I think that's the one I got, good piece of kit

Shane":11os3bts said:
Gordon - all the best from me as well, sounds like you've been put right through it

Thank you Shane,

We are snowed in at present so I might miss out on the last bit of the therapy. The main problem is that these French Doctors don't seem to have got their heads round reversing the ageing process.

Can't get the staff.

Back