Worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Moore

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some walnut worktops in kitchen in need of TLC. Tops are scratched and I am looking for best way to restore. Perhaps a random sander and then fine grades?
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Regards,
Dave

Hi, welcome Dave from nearby sunny Scunny, that sounds like it should work, don’t suppose you’re a Dave I know (Packaging)? Ian

Like any other wooden top I guess, surely you don’t do that, do you?
Aidan
Not hot pens, no though I'm sure it's happened absentmindedly. Always a silicone trivet somewhere to hand. Oak doesn't like iron though so it has caused lots of people issues because they didn't know that when fitting with non stainless screws, or leaving cast iron or steel things on it.

I gave my worktops 3 coats of 3032 and I've not touched them in 4 years, apart from one area that got some oven cleaner on it and went black. A little sanding and recoating sorted that.

+1 for Dr Bob's suggestion of a cabinet scraper. A set of card scrapers will do the fiddly areas (or get into small dips where required), a #80 will make short work of larger areas. I always find sandpaper will clog up too much when there's an existing coat on the wood, plus a scraper makes far less dust and noise.

After that, a couple of coats of Osmo Top Oil is my preferred finish.

Latest posts

Back