worktop mitre advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailormantom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of some advice from the kitchen fitters out there! I am refitting a utility room and have sourced a new laminate worktop that only comes in one size 4100 x 600 x 38. As this is longer than I need I thought I might use the spare length to provide a neat side covering of the underlying unit. So the worktop would go along the top with a mitre joint to the vertical piece going down the side.

My question is how do I join the mitre is such a way that I can be sure of a really neat fit first time that will be waterproof and last for a long time as, with laminate, there will be no opportunity for a little judicious sanding or paring afterwards without spoiling the finish. I have thought of using zipbolt mitre connectors and a sealant or glue - is this the best way?

Thanks and regards

Tom

You might be better insetting a quadrant of something hard and stain resistant on the corner after the joint has been finished - even if you succeed with a perfect joint, the laminate will chip and let moisture in (and look awful). Likewise, the edge on the floor would need lipping for water resistance.

i would not attempt a mitre like that on laminate, it will have a real sharp edge that will chip easy.

if you really want to use the spare worktop as a end panel, cut the end panel down 15mm and fit then fly the worktop over the top and add a edging strip.

Thanks Phil.p and speed. I'll have to rethink then. I'll have a look through my offcuts and see if I can find something that won't clash to use as a lipping.

Cheers, Tom

speed":2j17mzar said:
i would not attempt a mitre like that on laminate, it will have a real sharp edge that will chip easy.

if you really want to use the spare worktop as a end panel, cut the end panel down 15mm and fit then fly the worktop over the top and add a edging strip.

+1

I also think a mitre would be asking for trouble, where a straight cut would actually help bear the weight of the horizontal worktop.
If you trim a bit off the BACK edge of the vertical piece, you can keep the finished edging showing at the front, and have it set back enough to not need a fussy and difficult joint.

Firstly it can be done, I'm in the kitchen business so I speak from some experience and it's not that difficult(in theory).

As previously mentioned if you simply cut a mitre in each section and join them you will get an extremely sharp and very delicate edge. The solution is simply to join the mitre together with a piece of acrylic edging sandwiched in between the two pieces thus giving you something to file to produce an eased edge. You will obviously see a line but it can look really attractive. I would suggest you use edging tape for the joint http://www.axminster.co.uk/unika-he...?src=froogle&gclid=cnxhpu643bkcfvmdtaod6siaba and then some small l brackets to secure the joint and support the load, simply rout out sufficient material to leave these flush with the surface and or secure the top by screwing through the carcass from the inside.

Using matching or contrasting acrylic edging is not uncommon is dressing laminate tops. Lots of companies do it, check out the options here http://www.cotops.ltd.uk/edging.html

All you need to do is source a length of acrylic edging in a colour of your choice and you are away.

However if you are not naturally a brave soul get an off cut of worktop and try it a couple of times to be sure you you can achieve a satisfactory result. Personally I'd say the hardest part is cutting the top on the 45 without chipout. Good tracksaw and a new blade is best.

Let me know if I can help further.

Changing topic a little.... I buy the double sided tape from Magnets as its local. The tape is brilliant!
Just wanted to say, walked into Howdens and ask them for double sided tape for wt edges etc, bloke practically laughed at me then called his mate out too for a laugh!!! I thought what bunch of t&@ts, went to the van and showned them the near empty roll. Didn't tell where I got it from, just said all the big professional kitchen stockists sell it and walked out.
Hate it when the 'sales assistant' thinks they know your job better!!!
Rant over.

Good luck with your WTs.

mahomo59":26vyacn4 said:
Changing topic a little.... I buy the double sided tape from Magnets as its local. The tape is brilliant!
Just wanted to say, walked into Howdens and ask them for double sided tape for wt edges etc, bloke practically laughed at me then called his mate out too for a laugh!!! I thought what bunch of t&@ts, went to the van and showned them the near empty roll. Didn't tell where I got it from, just said all the big professional kitchen stockists sell it and walked out.
Rant over.

Good luck with your WTs.

Not surprised at all at your comments. I use both and agree. I also use a local one off but fairly large plumbers merchants. The guys on the counter are pleasant, polite and call everyone sir. It's a refreshing change to go in there. I have used glue until now. I'll be trying the tape from magnets next time.

mahomo59":2r4yx55z said:
Rant over.

Good luck with your WTs.

I really hate howdens just fitted one for a builder recently and had to pick up some mdf skirting. Went in and said 2 lengths of 2" and 3 lengths of 3" skirting please. He then typed away and said 1 length of 3" and 1 length of 2" NO I repeated the order. Anyway this went on and on then when I thought he'd finally got it right and went to the warehouse to get it the guy gives me 4". I said no that's wrong, I look at the bill and after all that he's still done it wrong. Grrrrrrr

For kitchens I prefer crown or omega or another good one is Pronorm

This thread is only seven years old, but it is exactly what I was looking for, has there been any miracle vertical joints invented in the meantime?

Back