Worktop Material?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brig

Reaction score
I want to fit a worktop in my garage which has just been fitted with a brand new main door, side door, and window, which are all insulated.

My question is, would a solid oak kitchen worktop be ok, or could I even use a laminated kitchen worktop if the garage is reasonably insulated, its not going to get a hammering with heavy use, it will mainly be used for guitar making and other small projects.

I've just turned seventy, so it only needs to last five to ten years at most, if I'm lucky. ;)

Either would seem ok, if there are significant moisture/ temperature changes natural timber may twist and cup whereas laminated chipboard won't ,though it will disintegrate if wetted for long periods. Thick ply at 25 or 32 mm might be worth considering .

I would use something thats easily replaced. Solid oak (ok furniture board type of thing) is much better on things like coffee tables and the like.

Hopefully you have a lot longer than 5 to 10 years, 70 is the old 50 remember. :unsure:

If its dry a cheap kitchen worktop will be fine but make sure it's sufficiently well supported, what you could also do is lay hardboard or 600 mdf on top to protect the surface and the MDF can just be turned over if it gets too bad.

I want to fit a worktop in my garage...
...《SNIP》...
I've just turned seventy, so it only needs to last five to ten years at most, if I'm lucky. ;)

I turn 71 this month (27th) and have every intention to be still going to my little workshop at 85+ 🙃😉😉. Don't give yourself a time limit 😇😉🤫

As for your worktop choice... as suggested by others go with the laminated kitchen worktop, seal any cut ends and back edge - as well as underneath as that will probably be some sort of treated paper surface and not laminate as such.

I find myself in a similar but slightly different pickle having to replace my bench etc. Posting separately 😀

I want to fit a worktop in my garage which has just been fitted with a brand new main door, side door, and window, which are all insulated.

My question is, would a solid oak kitchen worktop be ok, or could I even use a laminated kitchen worktop if the garage is reasonably insulated, its not going to get a hammering with heavy use, it will mainly be used for guitar making and other small projects.

If you have old worktops spare then that's the way to go but I would prefer 19mm plywood on a good, solid frame.

Standard kitchen laminate worktops are very tough, and you won't have to worry about liquids/paint etc. Easy to replace in a few years if it's too full of holes. A huge range of colours/styles too.

Thanks for all your advice folks, it's much appreciated.

I think I will go the kitchen worktop route, because with the new insulated doors and window, the garage should be dry enough to not cause any problems with damp, and I usually go well over the top when it comes to supporting things, so I don't think there will much chance of sagging.

I have used Howdens solid core fire door blanks, edged with their mahogany lipping.
T
21A4A30C-0A68-486F-894C-0E2CCC8850A7.jpeg
D2802256-68AB-432B-9611-5F6710C2A83E.jpeg
752266A9-C7A5-4AC2-87D8-F27A0F4DAA16.jpeg
hree coats of water based varnish and they are great for working on. No distortion, perfectly flat and really solid feel.

Back