Worktop Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I plan on re-fitting my kitchen, and rather than butt jointing my worktops and fitting an unsightly raised metal strip I was going to use worktop clamp/bars/wotsits that sit in pockets routed out from the base of the worktop. Looking at the jigs for this they are extremely expensive, especially if, like me, you only want to use it for 2 joints :roll:

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative - screwfix are £129 and this seems about the norm. Trend do a single pocket template which I might try but any other suggestions gratefully received

Cheers,

Steve.

you can hire them for about £30 a day fdrom your local hire shop.
if you do make sure they give you instructions and also check that the guide slot is in good condition.
in the past i have hired them and previous users have taken gouges out of them with the cutters.

you could get a local kitchen fitter to cut the joints for you?

if you live near High Wycombe you could borrow mine.
i've only used it once

aleks

Does this mean that there is a market for a low-cost DIY use unit at about £30 to £40? I run a CNC router and I'd be interested to know

Thanks aleks, but nowhere near you sadly :(

Scrit, in my opinion yes. I am not a kitchen fitter and as I dont plan on redoing my own kitchen more than once in about 10 years I think the jigs on the market are not geared to the home user - £100 to make two router cuts is, in my opinion excessive!

Trend do a sigle pocket jig and 10 connector bolts for £15 and this is the way i am going to go. If i butt my worktops at 45 degrees instead of 90 degrees then I can use a straight joint. Simple with a router and a straight guide :lol: The downside is I use more worktop because both pieces have to go into the far corner of the join, but as the worktop comes in 3m lengths and I can spare the extra it makes sense in my case.

Cheers,

Steve.

i have seen one on ebay made out of 12mm marine ply.
i think it went for about£50.
the only reson i got one is because the one i hired was knackered and i had to get the job done.
hence jig thats only been used once and is now in the loft getting dusty.
there is an advert for one in good woodworking page 37 of issue 137.
£45~~. don't know if its any good.

if i had to do it again and i didn't have the jig i'd hire it.

aleks

Stevie b
Try toolstation.com They have a mdf one for £35 may not last that long but should do for what you want
Mick B
BTW a lot of there stuff looks cheaper than screwfix.

Back