Worktable "lubricant"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_S

Reaction score
I am confused. Looking for a worktable friction reducer.
when compared with Waxilit or Silbergleit, WD-40 Dry PTFE Lubricant looking like it’ll do the job I need at a fraction of the cost.
But?…

PTFE is quite a different chemical than regular petroleum based things, ie finishes etc. I’d be worried the residue would do odd things to any finishes.
Fitz.

WD-40 is ok
WD-40 PTFE is a terrible plan
One tin of machinery wax will last a couple of decades and is good for protecting clamps etc too
Aidan

Assuming we're talking metal machine tables, use metalguard every 6-12 months as protection from rust and once dry, liberon ((liquid, machine table) wax on top, renewed as needed.
I used Kity Speed which was just repackaged Silbergleit table wax and it was fine on Kity's alloy tables, but the 2 part approach above is better for cast iron.

I always just carry a small piece of paraffin wax in my pocket, a quick rub over the machine table before use and it's good to go.

In every professional workshop I know, the first job every morning is to wipe down every machine table with Woodslide, Waxilit, Silber Gleit, Liberon Lubo, Axminster Machine Wax or some other silicon-free machine table lubricant.

And if they're a joinery workshop, using lots of resinous timber, then they might repeat the process every lunch time!

As has been pointed out, a tin of the proper stuff will last a lifetime and it really does make a huge difference. No risk of fish-eye on your finishing and safer too as it reduces the amount you have to push on the workpiece.

Does that paraffin wax have a smell, and
can you buy it in supermarkets?

What makes the branded machine waxes better?
Is it just a time thing like Custard has mentioned...

Kinda like WD40 vs proper penetrating fluid kind a thing, bang for buck WD works cheaper most of the time (first example I could think of, sorry for being annoying to use this reference)
Thanks

What sort of candles are they, normal candles are what I use for hand planes and stuff.
Thanks
Tom

The paraffin wax I have is much softer than candle wax, it breaks apart quite easily and has no strong smell.

They get it in large blocks and just use the band saw to cut it into small pieces.

I think the last lot they got was from Liberon

I've tried candle wax in the past but it never seems as good as pure paraffin wax.

Interesting - I work with my brother on occasions who has been a professional for 35 years, and when asked about this in the past he avoids such lubricant like the plague arguing that the friction helps to prevent the wood going through the machine too fast giving thereby giving a cleaner finish and less hazard of lost fingers / planed of fimger tips.

Latest posts

Back