• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted workspace in Dundee, what am i looking for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amongoaks

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm hoping the good folks here can offer some advice regarding finding a workspace to rent in Dundee.

the trouble is i'm Canadian and have only lived in the UK for a few years so I don't know the proper lingo to even ask the right questions.

my situation is that i'm moving from a house and garage rental in Fife to a flat in Dundee. losing my garage kills me because it's been my workshop space for long enough that i've become VERY addicted to having it. needless to say i'm trying to think of ways to have something similar in what will soon be our new home, Dundee.

i do light woodwork and metalwork. i mostly use hand tools but i do have a few small power tools. my projects are pretty modest and small scale: i carve things like spoons, small bowls, tool handles etc, make the odd cart or shelf for the shop. on the metalwork side i make small carving blades, recondition the odd axe, modify the odd tool now and again. in other words i create enough noise and woodchips and dust that i need somewhere dedicated to do it but nothing on an industrial or production scale. so far all this is personal hobby and DIY stuff. i'm guessing a space of 100-150 square feet with power and water would be ample for my needs.

because we're moving into a flat i'm guessing i'll need to rent space to safely keep and use my kit. what am i looking for? do i rent a light industrial space somewhere? or do i use Gumtree or something similar to try and rent someone's garage? what would you guys do, aside from facing reality and buying a suitable property? with any luck that's in the future for us but it's not going to happen for a while.

anyway, thanks for reading. any suggestions or guidance you might have would be much appreciated.

I'd get on Facebook market place, post an advert & explain what you're after see what's around.

Not sure about Scotland but where I'm from we'd call what you're looking for a "unit" , you want a small industrial unit. "Industrial unit wanted to DIY workshop space"

Contact the local council not sure if they do it where you are but a lot of council's rent out garages, £8 a week here in Pembrokeshire west wales.

If there's a farm near by get knocking on doors, explain what you're after they've often got spare buildings & want a bit of cash coming in

I guarantee you there's something out there you've just got to get on your bike and find it !

Are you planning on staying put in Bonnie Dundee or are you likely to move again in the next few years? The location of your flat will play a big part in this suggestion. Is it council, ex council or private. If public, there is a good chance that the council will have garage units to rent in the area. There may be a waiting list but you can put your name down and wait for one to become available in your area. If privately built then there will probably not be any local. If you are happy enough to travel about the city from where you live, look at the areas that used to be industrial but are now sort of gentrified, usually lots of places tucked away. I would also suggest have a look in and around Broughty Ferry down by Barry Budden Camp.

hth

wow! excellent suggestions guys, and thanks for the lingo tips! many thanks all around.

as much as i'd like one of the council garage units -- i can see some from my study window here at the old place -- our new place is likely to be privately owned so that might squelch that idea. sounds like a ping off the Dundee City Council might be worth a shot though.

happy to "commute" to the unit, no problem there. i'll certainly check out the Budden Camp idea. (y)

wow! excellent suggestions guys, and thanks for the lingo tips! many thanks all around.

as much as i'd like one of the council garage units -- i can see some from my study window here at the old place -- our new place is likely to be privately owned so that might squelch that idea. sounds like a ping off the Dundee City Council might be worth a shot though.

happy to "commute" to the unit, no problem there. i'll certainly check out the Budden Camp idea. (y)

Just so you know you don't have to be a council tenant to get a council garage (y)

Just so you know you don't have to be a council tenant to get a council garage (y)

ah! thanks for that. i'd once chatted with some guys maintaining a council garage property and they seemed to think it was a requirement, but BTF they weren't sure either way.

Just so you know, Dundee is the most BEV friendly city in the UK, council policy is to have as much EV infrastructure available as possible in the city.

Dundee is a beautiful City there has been so many improvements to the city centre over the last few years. but like all big cities, there are some areas in Dundee where I wouldn't rent and anything to do with property seems to attract scammers on Gumtree and Marketplace.

Are you planning on staying put in Bonnie Dundee or are you likely to move again in the next few years? ...

my apologies, i forgot to answer that bit. Dundee, or somewhere in the area, will be home for the foreseeable future. at some point we'll be buying a house and obviously that might take us a bit further afield.

i thought a bit of follow-up might be appropriate.

we did end up finding a place just East of the city which had a nice-sized shed/garage that has proven to be perfectly suitable for my needs. the feelers I had put out for a workspace toke several months to produce any results and none that i would have jumped on. that said i did see a number of possibilities just by cruising around the East side in person, so the fellow that suggested that knew his business.

Last edited:
Back