Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
With the winter coming on I thought it was time to put some insulation innthe workshop. Like a lot of people on the forum I use a convetrted garage as the workshop, which has a concrete floor, also the wall that is not attached to the house is only single skin.

I started by laying 2" x2" battens secured with thunder bolts and inlaid with extratherm insulations.

Workshop-02.jpg

The workshopis 22ft by 12ft, the laying of the whole floor took 6 hours

Workshop-04.jpg

Now its time to start the walls, I've decided to use the same material.

Workshop-05.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the walls finished today.

Waka
Nice one-looks like it's going to be a cosy place to work!
What you gonna do about heating?
cheers
Philly :D

Philly

Not to sure about the heating yet, I have an electic oil filled heater but not to sure whether it will cope, time will tell.

Had an uninterupted 8 hours in the workshop today, the results are in the pic's.

workshop-Stage-2-001.jpg

workshop-Stage-2-002.jpg

Starting to get some things backin place now, these are my wood racks on the far wall and eventually I'll put some on the opposite wall.

workshop-Stage-2-003.jpg

All going well my workshop should be back up and running in the next few days.

See you tomorrow Philly, about 2 ish.

Waka,

Your making very good progress :D
You should be very snug when its all back in place 8)
I would try the oil filled rad before buying anything else, having improved the insulation you may find it does cope :shock:

Nice job Waka looking very good. I use an oil filled radiator in my single garage with cavity wall insulation and double skin and to be honest it gets too hot quite often; I regularly see it hit 25+ centigrade in there :( and struggle to keep the temp where I want it (20C )

Give the oil heater a go :wink:

Well done Waka, an excellent job, it looks really cosy.
What about this front garage door, it seems you would be losing all the heat through it. It's cold steel, it works like a giant radiator only keeping you cold! You should stick something to it no?

I noticed you used what looks like those attic flooring boards. Is that expensive compare to using chip boards or even plywood. I guess it was more manageable than 8x4 sheets! :wink:

I use also a oil filled electric radiator and I am cosy in no time in my workshop. It works really well and I don't worry about dust on it.

Thanks for showing us :D

Waka
I can only recomend an oil filled radiator i have been using on until the element blew this week. I have another on its way to replace it. I used to think that the fan heater was adequate but, once i had tried the rad.........

Bean

CYC

Your right I did use the flooring on the walls, I guess it was a little bit more expensive but as you say more manageable and as all the machinery was out of action more convienient. I also had some offcuts of panels left over anf used them for shelving.

I ahven't got around to doing the door yet, once everything is in place thats the next step. I went and had a look at Philly's over the weekend so I've seen how easy it is to do.

Philly, what was the insulation you used? My memory is going.

Next job after that is to put in the permanant dust extraction system, it should be all nice and cosy for the winter.

All the replys regarding oilfilled heater, i tried mine out the other night and have to say is was resonably warm in the morning, although as you say \i suspect a lot of heat going out through the door.

Should have some pic's of the cpmpleted effort next week.

Thanks all for your support.

Hi Tony,
I used 50mm Rockwool slabs from Wickes-easy tocut and fit. Then I pop rivetted 3mm hardboard over the top to seal it in.
cheers

Philly":3d44tb8s said:
Hi Tony,
I used 50mm Rockwool slabs from Wickes-easy tocut and fit. Then I pop rivetted 3mm hardboard over the top to seal it in.
cheers

That would do it :D
What about all around the garage door, did you use some sort of tiny brush strips that cut the drafts? or is that door coming to rest in a rebated frame like a door?
Just curious and I want to make sure Waka doesn't get a cold :p

Thanks Philly

I've got a few slabs of extratherm left that will do for the door, its nice and light so should do the trick.

Around the edges I intend putting something like brush material but not to sure where to get this from. I'll tackle this job at the weekend.

CYC

Bottom of door butts up against the flooring which is 3" higer than the bottom of the door.

After all this work I hope I've got some money left for the 11th.

Latest posts

Back