Workshop workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I needed to get sorted in the 'shop was a new workbench - my old one was a couple of kitchen cabinets with MDF on the top.

So using some CND Maple and Beech which I had lying round, I made a start on the new bench. It's 2.4mtrs long, and 1.1mtrs deep (just about reach to the back of the bench).

2012-08-14134117.jpg

On the end sections I went to town with pegged M&T's

2012-08-14134127.jpg

But my enthusiasm waned somewhat, so the front rails were just glued and screwed to the rear of the front legs. :roll:

Top is made up 3 sheets of 18mm mdf - i'll be lipping this with some AWO. Front vice is the Veritas twin screw model off my old bench, and i'll put some dog holes in the top when it's all done.

Cheers

Karl

After it's been lipped, I'd put on a sheet of sacrificial exterior grade hardboard, stuck down with strips of strong d/s carpet tape or similar. The exterior grade is far superior to the fluffy interior stuff and much under rated IMO...bearing cut with a router once it's stuck down - Rob

Karl, that's a wood gloat, followed by a tool gloat, followed by a space gloat!

It looks a seriously useful bench. 8 foot long with space all round!
How do you like the big twin-screw vice?

(I'm not so impressed by the grey and green storage box, but I did notice it!)

Rob - the top sheet of MDF is replaceable - it's just held in place with 6 screws. So if it gets that scuffed up that it needs replacing, it's an easy and cheap fix.

Andy - I think you're seeing things - no Festool stuff in my 'shop. Yet. But the 'shop is a nice space - main shop is 50' x 25'. The saw in the 2nd pic is one by Pedder & Klaus (got them about 2 years ago). The Veritas is ok, but it isn't the q/r version which I believe Paul C has, so is a bit labourious. It clamps up really well, and the clearance between the screws is adjustable (subject to chain changeover), which is useful. But on reflection I wouldn't get it again if I had a choice (I bought it about 10 years ago when it was much cheaper.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2iugmcxu said:
Rob - the top sheet of MDF is replaceable - it's just held in place with 6 screws. So if it gets that scuffed up that it needs replacing, it's an easy and cheap fix.

Karl
Sounds like a good plan Karl :wink: Without getting into the egg sucking dept, I've just re-surfaced my bench and I then waxed it so that any glue/crud/cr*p just lifts of with the touch of an old cabinet scraper. The hardboard covered assembly bench is also waxed which makes cleaning up after a complicated glue-up equally as easy...but you knew all that already :lol: - Rob

Back