Workshop With A Concrete Floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small workshop with a concrete floor. The workshop is dry /no damp. Small machinery--bandsaw / bobin / belt sander / piller drill. All machinery on their own stands.
My question is: Would you keep the concrete floor as is? Or cover the concrete with some sort of hard resin? If so any suggestions ?

Your experiences welcome.

You say you don’t have damp so what are you hoping the covering of resin will do?

If you question is about personal comfort I’ve found standing on concrete for long periods is very tiring on my lower legs & lead to aches & pains in my feet & calves.

I put interlocking rubber mates down some years back on the main standing points & it has helped tremendously, I didn’t appreciate how long I spent at the bench until I noticed I’d worn the pattern off that particular mat.

Unless you know that the floor has a damp proof membrane in it, then be very carefull doing anything to stop it being able to breathe as it could just be naturally drying off by being kept bare.

Myfordman":2erbsdts said:
Unless you know that the floor has a damp proof membrane in it, then be very carefull doing anything to stop it being able to breathe as it could just be naturally drying off by being kept bare.
Yes, I would suggest putting a piece of rubber mat or similar on it for a week to see if it is wicking or not.

Doug B":3pxfdrwe said:
...I put interlocking rubber mates down some years back...
I've got those interlocking mats around my handtools bench. As well as being easier on the feet, it can also save tears if you knock your favourite handplane off the bench :shock:

Cheers, Vann.

Mikegtr":5wt5h4xh said:
I have a small workshop with a concrete floor. The workshop is dry /no damp. Small machinery--bandsaw / bobin / belt sander / piller drill. All machinery on their own stands.
My question is: Would you keep the concrete floor as is? Or cover the concrete with some sort of hard resin? If so any suggestions ?

Your experiences welcome.

I'm not sure what problem you would be trying to solve by applying a resin-based floor covering. However, if the floor really is dry, you could apply one if you wanted. I considered it momentarily for my own workshop, as the area around my bench, already smooth to start with, has been thoroughly polished by my feet over the last 5 or 6 years and is now a little more slippery than I'd like. This can make planing tougher timber difficult, believe it or not, because my feet slip as I try to push the plane.

I suggest rubber mats pLus cheapish floor paint, if it is not painted - floor paint will cut down the inevitable dusting you get on concrete floors - sure it may flake off in places if the floor is damp but so what - the other reason is that I find it easier to find small dropped bits on a painted floor

25/30 years ago we bought heavy rubber matting in slabs (about 6' x 4' x 1" ) for our stables. I'm still using one in front of my bench . Poo, (insert apparently banned euphemism for liquid bodily waste here) Paint, and oil hasn't made the slightest difference to it. Anything dropped on it usually not damaged. Wonderful stuff. Current workshop has short industrial carpet already glued down , otherwise I'd buy another load of rubber mats for all of it - Google stable mats . :D

My workshop has a slightly rough screeded finish. I painted it when I bought it but it's worn off pretty quickly in the high traffic areas. Most of my machine tools are very heavy and on wheels so they drag up any mats or tiles. If I could be bothered to empty it right out I'd lay altro industrial lino, properly glued down. It'd make it much easier to sweep up!

You lot dont know youre born :roll:
I have to work with rough paving slab pattern stamped concrete that slopes in 4 different directions from a middle high point.
Over 4" height difference from high to low. :shock: (hammer)
Nothing i can do except live with it.
No wheels in my place. :roll:
I do have a large square (rectangle) of ribbed rubber mat in front of the bench though.

Latest posts

Back