Workshop Unit Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently fitting out my new workshop and need to make a load of units, both to house some machines on top (sander, tormek, benchtop pillar drill etc etc whilst also providing some storage, and wondered if anyone had any tips for the design

Height wise they will be the same as my bench to keep it all the same as they will be against the same wall.

Underneath-storage so a shelf or two with doors on front to keep dust out. Would a drawer above the door be worth while or is it worth making more space within the door, perhaps for more shelf space within the carcass? Or possible an underframe for woodstorage? I am looking to make the most of the space and dont want to make them then wish I had done something different so wondered if anyone had any ideas from experience.

Many thanks

Hi,

I have gone for all drawers for my recent workshop storage. 1) because as I get older bending and reaching becomes a pain 2) drawers will hold more and hold it in place 3) bigger stuff eg routers I keep in bigger drawers 4) keeps more dust out than a door.

Al

Have you considered kitchen cabinets? You could then pick and choose whichever combination of cupboards/drawers you want.

Cheers
Aled (currently on the lookout for a couple of cheap kitchen cabinets for the workshop)

Fraser, Aled

If you want kitchen units then look for some local fitters (a word with Howdens will probably give links). They get pulled out to be replaced and chucked in the skip. Many are in excellent condition and the carcases can easily be remodelled - if you don't like the doors, just make your own to suit. great solution if you haven't the time or cash to spare to start from scratch. Often decent metal drawers as well.

I skipped 2 large kitchens only last month. Waste of useable material but just can't store any more or divorce might be imminent :cry:

Bob

Hi
Thanks for all the replies
The kitchen cabinets is a fair idea but i would rather make them, even if they are free to be honest.
I see the pluses for the drawers however how they prevent you from bending down and storing more I'm not so sure, they would probably keep things more organized though I'm not sure what's actually going in them yet so can't make them to fit certain tools or anything. I accept they keep more dust off though!

fraser,

With cupboard doors you have to move a great deal more to use them. As you get older then you find movement can be an issue:-

1) pull open door
2) bend knees until upper body is level with opening using hips/knees and thighs
3) twist body to be able to reach into cupboard
4) reach in with arms, twisting bent knees/hips and upper torso
5) push knees upwards to stand up.

I'm 64 and starting to get a little stiff, no its not pictures of Angelina Jolie, its arthritis.
Believe me even at a younger age you will find drawers easier

Al

Hi,

You sure its not Angelina? ;)

The thing with drawers in is if you want them all neat and tidy, they have to be made so that each tool has a place. Which becomes a problem if you are often getting in new tools or think there is a better way in which they should be.

We always use to have a a 4 drawer filing cabinet in the workshop, great place to stash powers tool/ spare jigsaw blades etc....

Fraser,

I have reached the stage now, where I wish I had used drawers, or shelves on runners, instead of fixed shelves in cupboards.

Yes, I am converting them, but when I was young, I never thought about getting old and creaky. These days, bending over to rummage around inside low, deep cupboards is a pig of a task.

So use drawers and slide-out shelves now, and you'll never have to regret not doing it that way in the first place.

You can't say you ain't been warned; by Beech as well! Believe me he's spot on right. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back