Workshop tour and Ottoman WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a big clear out in the shed and whilst it was tidy (belive me it's not like this for long) I thought I would take a few pictures. So here we go on a very quick workshop tour.

My shed is a bought 16' x 8' one. Not very happy with the build of it but I am trying to make the best I can. Never enough room in here so all the machines are on wheels. From the door you can see that it is compact.

WS1.jpg

I don't do much turning although I do enjoy what I do. This is a little Perform lathe which is OK for me but would be far too small for anybody serious. BTW the window behind was given to me by my brother when he had an extension built. The other one was a tenner of eBay.

WS2.jpg

This is my new toy. An Axminster CT1502 planer. Very nice tool.

WS3.jpg

The top end of the shed see the DeWalt thicknesser, an Worksharp sharpening machine and a small pillar drill. The cabinets are on wheels and get moved around when needed. The shelves contain my extensive collection of planes among other bits and pieces.

WS4.jpg

The work bench. Bought this bench from Corby when we were getting loads of science tables. I took the cupboards out from under it and added three drawers and also added a plywood top. Its heavy! And doesn't move around in use. The wood on the bench is the start of my next project, an Ottoman.

WS5.jpg

Finally, the two machines that I bought when I first started woodworking, a Bosch GTS10 table saw and a DeWalt mitre saw. They have served me well over the years. I need to change the table saw blade but cannot undo it, big spanner time I think.

WS6.jpg

Thats it, I hope you have enjoyed that very quick tour of my workshop, and please remember to visit the gift shop on your way out.

An ottoman, or blanket chest, is simply a four sided box with a lid. The sides will be dovetailed together. The box will be made from American white oak. The base will be 6mm MDF. I am starting on the sides. The boards have been ripped down and cut to approximate dimensions. They are then planned on one face to create a flat surface.

Ottoman1.jpg

The boards are thicknessed, biscuited and then glued up. This is the first of the panels in the clamps.

Ottoman2.jpg

To be continued...

A small but well equiped space!

I'm sure you already know this but just incase you don't hopefully this might save a skinned knuckle, but the nut on the table saw will turn the wrong way from normal to undo.

Chems; are you certain about the nut being a left hand thread? In the manual it says to remove it by turning it anti-clockwise, i.e. a normal right hand thread. I think I need to go back and try turning it the "wrong" way.

Thanks for the info though.

Bob

I just know that everytime I change my saw blade which isn't often I spend the first few mins trying to turn it the wrong way! I don't know if all saws are other way threaded I just know that what I feel is right is wrong with the saw nut! Is it one of those things they backthread so that it doesn't loosen itself off?

Most saws and spinny things I've used undo in the direction that the blade turns, even router and the lawn mower blade nut.
You've got a really well laid out compact shop. Inspiring for what can be done with little space. 8)

Indeed, you appear to make very good use of the space you have. Nice planer, too! Most table saw and dimension saws that I've come across have a left-hand thread on the arbour. It's essentially so that the rotation of the blade does not loosen the nut while the saw is running... However, I'm sure I've also used several portable circular saw (skil saws) where this rule doesn't appear to apply...

If the nut really is stuck on tight then, sometimes, it helps to give it a slight turn in the "wrong" direction, before trying to unwind it again. If it still won't budge then, you might want to invest in a can of Penetrating Spray, which is truly awesome stuff.

To add to the (good) advice already mentioned, if all else fails to loosen the offending nut then try heat (concentrated blow torch flame) - not the easiest thing to apply to something thats partly obscured by the saws table but getting the nut as hot as you can then letting it cool down again can do wonders to loosen a stubborn fixing. Obviously be as careful as possible that you dont burn yourself or set light to any sawdust nearby - prolly best down outside of the workshop with some water handy.

hth

Back