Workshop stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old injury that comes back to tease me every now and then, the effect being to make standing at the bench unpleasant for any length of time, so I am considering a workshop stool.
Most of my work is centred around the vice and the stuff I work on is small but even so there is a fair bit of movement involved so I think a wheeled stool would be required. Does anybody have experience with such a thing? Are wheels practical in a woodworking environment or would you be zooming unintentionally all around the shop with every push of the plane...?
I need a solution because at the moment after two hours on my feet I'm done.

I have an old kitchen stool in the shed for some small work and just to take the load off now and then. Tried a wheeled office chair but the wheels made working too hard. I cant work long bent over the bench anymore but using a moxon to raise the work so you stand upright is a great help. Nice soft rubber mat to stand on helps too. I recently made a 3 leg stool to play guitar on and it's nice and light to drag around so may do another for the shed. Shed time is to relax from the mad world so may as well do it in comfort.
Regards
John

I tried a sturdy high stool very briefly, couldn't get on with it whatsoever.
Hard to beat having a pair of old farm chairs, the back is gone on one of them, so it's basically a stool, light enough to reach for.
These are quite low, which is nice when you want to get down to the work, and is a lot easier on the neck than a tall chair, and also useful for all kinds of things.

Tom

I can bend no problem, my difficulty is a beaten up ankle which necessitates walking with a cane. What I need is to sit at standing height by which I mean parking half of my butt on a seat to take the weight off the dud leg, good one on the floor. Since I would be sort of anchored by the good leg a figured maybe a wheeled stool might work.

I have one of these:
WINPLUS Ultra Cushioned Shop Stool with Deluxe Backrest
from Amazon, though it’s shown as ’currently unavailable’. I use it mostly when I’m doing small assembly or electronics tasks. Deliberately didn’t buy one with wheels, because of action and reaction, padded because it’s more comfortable, and a back to provide some support. Can’t use it at the workbench, because I’m attached to my knees, but I have a bench-height worktop with knee space.

I'm wondering if a short padded knee high box that you could rest the bad leg on while standing would work for you? Or would it cause other discomforts?

Pete

Have a look at this thread
Have a small welder so will have a go at making one of these, originally from AES.
I'm wondering if a short padded knee high box that you could rest the bad leg on while standing would work for you? Or would it cause other discomforts?

Pete
Didn't want to get into all the grisly stuff but walking with a limp over the years causes other compensatory troubles, in my case with the musculature around the top of the thigh so want to take the standing weight off a bit at bum level.
AES's seat in the other post looks great for me.

How practical is raising the bench, compared to sitting (and still leaning over e.g. a vice?). As above,
stand on something comfy and keep your back straight?

You can get high workshop stools/chairs that have wheels that lock when weight is on them. Not as much as fun as ones that don't lock.

I have an old injury that comes back to tease me every now and then, the effect being to make standing at the bench unpleasant for any length of time, so I am considering a workshop stool.
Most of my work is centred around the vice and the stuff I work on is small but even so there is a fair bit of movement involved so I think a wheeled stool would be required. Does anybody have experience with such a thing? Are wheels practical in a woodworking environment or would you be zooming unintentionally all around the shop with every push of the plane...?
I need a solution because at the moment after two hours on my feet I'm done.

Oh man, i cant wait to see what chair you make, it'll have planes carved into each leg, right??? 😉

Any good?
1646991549616.png

i can’t imagine any stool on wheels would be suitable for planing…The kneeling stools give good suport and it’s easy to go into a standing position when needed.

Back