Workshop size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm steadily moving in the direction of getting a new workshop built in the garden. I'm pretty set on getting a log cabin style building (fits with the garden and house) rather than cheaper shed etc. I've got room for a 4m x 3m building and at a real push 4m x 4m (although it will look a bit cramped).

My question is - is 4m x 3m a big enough space for most general tasks in a shop?

What sizes of workshop do other people have (and are they big enough)?

I know the ideal answer is "as big as possible" but I am limited.

Thanks!

Hi Digizz

I think that most people work out of a single garage and still struggle for space.

However much you have you will fill it. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi Digizz
Space is a difficult one as Newbie_Neil says it will if you are not very careful fill up rapidly and leave no room for working. I like most people use a single garage which is very cramped. Just room for me, the project and a mug of tea !

Good Luck

Bean

Digizz,

I work in a small workshop - smaller than what you are suggesting - 10 x 8 foot. It is possible, but clearly the more space you have the easier it is when working on big projects. Also, you will inevitably find you require more space than you *think* you need. I also had restrictions on workshop size - it would simply take up too much of the garden. So, you simply have to make do with what is feasible on occasions.

I don't really keep any wood in the workshop - mostly it seems to live in the guest room! Also, I built a little shed for stuff like the lawnmower, cans of paint, shovels etc. This really makes a difference, stops you getting oil and grease off the mower into the workshop. Due to such severe space restriction I work without natural light - I need the area behnd the windows for shelves - to hold all the bits and bobs you need. To compensate for this, I use 2 sets of flourescents lights - making 4 tubes in total - which keeps it very bright. In the summer, I can open the large door - and as the workshops so small, it does make a difference. Despite seeing lots of people "planning" the layout, I find this has evolved naturally, and changes with the need to accomodate new equipment. I found getting a Tablesaw meant I had to dismantle one of the two workbenches I had in there. Shelving is essential, to maximise the space right up into the roof. The one comprimise I made about storing "other" junk in there, was I have three bikes to squirrel away! I dismantled them completely, and stood them vertical with all wheels, handlebars, seats pedals etc removed. They are actually quite compact. Other than that, I won't let any junk in. Use the loft, or the car boot sale to get rid of "unwanted" stuff.
I'd seriously reccomend the larger of the two sizes you recommend. If (when) you are trying to use either a tablesaw or a bandsaw to rip long stock, you need plenty of space.
However, clearly I get by with a tiny amount of space - see here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/cat ... p?cat_id=8

The main things to think about also are electrical power supply, and security - a lot easier to do at the start. I presume you will have a suitable base to stop it rotting?

Hi Digizz,

I am lucky, no i am very, very lucky. I have a 2 storey workshop both floors measuring 26ft x 13ft.
I have my machines downstairs and my work bench, hand tools etc upstairs, yet as Neil stated i have still filled it.

The walls (which are made out of granite and eat drill bits for dinner) are filled with shelves. I've even started storing my timber in my garage next door.

I not complaining as i have dreamt about a workshop like this for years and it was one of the main reasons we purchased the house. But i do agree that no matter what size it is you will find some way of filling it.

All the best with your new workshop.

Mike.ca

Hi Digizz

Go for the biggest.

Like a lot of people I work out of a single garage. Would love to have more space.

Have fun

billzee

I too am planning my first workshop something like 3.6m by 4.8m.

However not sure that I'll end up with any more working space than anyone else. More room will only mean I keep more scrap bits of wood and waste money on tools gadgets I'll use only once.

Hi Digizz
If you have a look in the gallery at my workshop you will see how easy it is to fill a fairly large space (6.5 x 5.5 metres) with all your tools and machines and I even managed to fit a finishing room in the corner as I think a dust free room is a must for finishing work..
Of course not everyone has the need for some machines but they do make life a lot eaisier.
Go as big as you can, you`ll be glad you did.

Hi Digizz

Workshop space can be a problem, as most of the replys indicate, the more space you have, the more you need.

I do my work in a single garage like most but it is about 1 1/2 times the normal size. here I have woodrack for storing stock all along the walls. I is big enough to support all my machinery or so I thought.

I have two other garages, one of which is slowly becoming filled with woodworking stuff and beleive me I have my eye on the other one as well. Its only HID's who's stopping that move. Only option is to extend the original workshop.

I wish I could be happy with the workshop size, but the more you have the more you want. I blame the tool manufacturers.

happy building, hope it works for you.

Waka

Hi Digizz,

As the others say go for the biggest workshop you can build. My current workshop is 3m x 2m ( https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/cat ... p?cat_id=4 ) As you can see I've squeezed in quite a lot and I 'just' about managed to work in there. It's served me well over the years but the one thing I hate is when I need to use a tool I have to move 4 others out of the way first :x

Back