Workshop size question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last 20 years I've been working in my single garage doing mainly hobby turning but also working on other small ' flat ' projects as well. Over the last few years the housing association who owns the property have started to ' lay the the law down ' and state that a garage is for a car and a car only, needless to say that I was informed yesterday by a very good neighbour (in confidence) that someone has 'grassed' on me, I'm just waiting now for the official letter to arrive in the post next week informing me to clear the garage.

We only have a small recently landscaped garden so a quick measure up yesterday has revealed that I only have room for a 12'x10' shed/workshop and to fit this in I would have to take out my koi pond and waterfall.

So my question to everyone is, does anyone else work in a similar sized workshop to this and how do they manage do they find it cramped ?

Quite honestly I may have to put some of my machines into one of these self storage places nearby for the time being.

Machines I'll need to fit in are :

Lathe, bench top morticer, bandsaw, small table saw, mitre saw, bench top jointer and bench top thicknesser, router table as well as power tools.

So just really after peoples thoughts on workshop size.

Regards

Steve :D

Don't you love nosy neighbours.
I've worked in a 10X8 (and, due to condensation/rusting problems preferred it to the single, brick/tiled/concrete floored garage next to it). It's manageableif you lose the "everything ready in it's place" mindset. Yes, everything has it's place - on a shelf or on wheels. Pull into place/place on bench when needed. The rest of the garden comes into use as well. 4 wheelie bins are a good stand for 8X4 sheets, a clamp and a CS makes the sheet shed sized. An enlarged wall butt, with a 2X2 paving slab replacing the coping, is great for a mitre saw. Folding roller stands come into their own. etc.etc.

Thanks for your comments Laird,

The irony is I know who's put the poison down but can't say anything to them because it will blow my neighbour's cover.

I suppose what I'm after in my original post is some encouragement that the size of workshop will work because right now I feel like selling up !

Steve

If you get a letter it might be worth checking if the HA actually has the power to lay the law down. It will depend on the express terms of the lease. Unless the leases says something along the lines of you can only use the garage for motor vehicles then you might not have to comply with their request. It would be different if you run a business rather than a hobby from the garage.

unfortunately PAC1 we checked that out about 4 or 5 years ago because the same thing happened to my mate ( hobby woodwork/told to clear garage ).
The HA do have the right to do this as per the tenancy agreement it's just that they've only started enforcing it in the last few years.

Steve

Have you checked that you're going to be allowed to use the shed? It seems bizarre that they'd stop you using the garage for hobby purposes but be ok about you using a shed in the garden. I think I'd be tempted to fight it. Assuming they'll not be ale to prove you use the garage for business in any way.

No Wizer I haven't checked yet, I think the reason behind there ruling on the garage is because of 'Health and Safety and fire risk'.

I'm certainly not going to let it happen without a fight as there are several tenants who use there garage for storage and until they empty there stuff mine stays put !

BTW good luck with the back operation.

Steve

I'd move, simple as that.

If you can afford to live there you can afford to live somewhere else where you actually are allowed to use your own property for what you want to use it for.

I feel bad for you. But when your buddy was caught out that's when i would of been looking for a more suitable place to live. You had to of known this was coming.

When i lived in a house where there was no room to build a shop i rented one. It might be an option for you if you are already going to put things in storage. When you get used to a life style it is difficult to live with an enforced change.

hi

when the letter arrives , see what they got to say first , then write back and say when they (enforce) all of there house they own with the same ruling, no matter what other may have in there garages then you will comply with there request . Most garages are glorified junk hole and never see a car parked in it anyway a car is just as much a fire risk as a workshop is. hc

anyway a car is just as much a fire risk as a workshop is.

You are not kidding, we have had two Vauxall combo vans spontaneously combust both about half an after they were last used. My mate has got footage of his right outside his house. Fortunately a neighbour raised the alarm and he pushed it into the end of the close before it really went up.
As far as I know there have been several other cases across the country in our fleet alone.
Now I look it's well documented, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20 ... ng_corsas/

Alan

I really wish I could move but it's not that simple I'm afraid, I'm a self employed gardener and my customers are here otherwise I'd be packing my bags right now.

We have always been aware of the situation but after my mate got busted things slackened off, unfortunately we have at least one jealous minded busy body living in the road.

Regards

Steve

steve
I sympathise with your situation.
If some one is going to compalin about you using a garage, you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as you put a shed up, you will have a visit from the noise police, tipped off by the same people.

:evil: :twisted:

Mikeee

Thanks very much for all the replies in this thread, certainly given me food for thought. I'll just sit back and wait for the HA letter to arrive ( if it does ) and take it from there.

Cheers

Steve :D

Sorry to hear this steve :roll:
I had a couple of comments when i first set up shop,and it made me very concious,aware of the amount noise i was making in the shop/garage,especially when the thicknesser was going.
But one comment was when i was using my bandsaw :shock:
I think this was one of the reasons i decided to go with turning as it seemed a lot quieter hobby.
My other machines hardley get used now,some i have sold :(
Hope all turns out ok for you.

Back