Workshop setup help needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasonB":lkcdtoy2 said:
But I would rather do without a bandsaw and keep a tablesaw anyday <snip> I have the earlier version of this
Yesterday at 9.42 am Alf":lkcdtoy2 said:
As soon as you start comparing a small benchtop model with a tablesaw, the bandsaw is going to come off worse.
If that was my bandsaw, I'd prefer a tablesaw too... :roll: But then if I had to do all my planing with a Stanley 220, I'd be a Normite. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Well, my two cents worth.

I will always opt for the best bandsaw one can afford and a lesser tablesaw. One can get a good usable tablesaw for not much money.

Really good bandsaws cost a bunch. I use a Jet 18" bandsaw and if I had the money at the time (and the ability to use 220 volt) it would have been a much better bandsaw (though the Jet is a decent one).

This is the table saw I use. It folds up neatly, is portable and is very accurate.

165533_4.jpg

I don't know if they are available in England or not. Point is an accurate tablesaw is easier to manufacture and can therefore be had for less.

A good bandsaw is capable, as mine is, of square and parallel to the fence cuts. BS blades vary in quality and endurance. For really tough woods and long life I am using Lennox Trimaster carbide tipped blades. Great surface and very long life. Spendy, but worth every penny.

For everyday use, I use Wood Slicer blades from Highland hardware in the States. From what I read on this forum, they probably compare to the Duredge blades.

I have no issue regards long wood that may twist during the cut, such as some Maple. The blade doesn't bind nor burn the edge as a tablesaw can. As for clean up after a cut, a couple swipes of a plane does the trick just fine. Which I use after a tablesaw cut as well, so there's still less wood wasted in my opinion.

Well, there's the 2 cents worth.

Mike

Hi Mike
I've seen the Ridgid stuff in the diy sheds while on holiday in America, It looks nice stuff but the only items I have seen over here are for the pipe fitting trade. Like most people I'm still setting up my workshop and currently manage with an old american radial arm saw, a Sheppach basato 3 bandsaw and a Makita circ saw. I would really like a tablesaw to have easy repeat cuts and do some of the work that I do with the cs, but while I'm still working out of the garage I just don't have the room.

Thanks all for your opinions and advice - I will have to go back and look through the catalogues again in the light of all this new knowledge...
...of which I think I now have enough to be dangerous :wink:

I'll let you know what I decide.

Cheers,
Andy.

Back