Workshop security

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. New member here.

I have recently completed my workshop build and am looking at security solutions, specifically battery operated alarms. I have been looking at alarms with a PIR (motion) sensor that are remote controlled with an IR fob. These seem okay as they are relatively cheap, can be placed anywhere and are quite loud (125db in most cases). They receive mostly good feedback in online reviews but there appear to be a few issues, namely intermittent activating/deactivating and interference from light switches and other IR controllers. I remember as a kid being at to turn off a similar alarm with the TV remote. I also have concerns about the alarm going off accidently in the middle of the night and waking up the neighbours.
Does anyone have experience with these types of alarms? If so, which ones and would you recommend them?

Edit: I should say, the workshop doesn't have a permanent 240v power supply, hence the requirement for a battery operated alarm.

Thanks

I tried searching for similar posts but couldn't find any relevant to my question.

Last edited:
I alarmed my garage/workshop with a Yale HSA6400 that I purchased from Screwfix 3 years ago and have been happy with it.
It is no longer on sale but the Yale Premium+ (Screwfix 7338X) looks similar. I have the control box plugged into a 240v socket in the house and the alarm siren box and sensors are all battery operated and located in the garage. The 2 door/window contacts cover the main garage door and side pedestrian door and the pir sensors cover the inside of the garage. The control box in the house talks to the sensors and alarm siren box wirelessly. I also purchased an additional remote keypad for the garage off Amazon (so that the alarm can be turned on/off using that rather than the control box in the house) like the one shown as part of the Yale HSA Essentials Alarm (Screwfix 344JF). This is also battery powered. One point to note is that all batteries will have to be changed every 2 (or so) years, so make sure the alarm siren box is out of the reach of any burglars, but accessible in order to change the batteries (D batteries I think).

I alarmed my garage/workshop with a Yale HSA6400 that I purchased from Screwfix 3 years ago and have been happy with it.
It is no longer on sale but the Yale Premium+ (Screwfix 7338X) looks similar. I have the control box plugged into a 240v socket in the house and the alarm siren box and sensors are all battery operated and located in the garage. The 2 door/window contacts cover the main garage door and side pedestrian door and the pir sensors cover the inside of the garage. The control box in the house talks to the sensors and alarm siren box wirelessly. I also purchased an additional remote keypad for the garage off Amazon (so that the alarm can be turned on/off using that rather than the control box in the house) like the one shown as part of the Yale HSA Essentials Alarm (Screwfix 344JF). This is also battery powered. One point to note is that all batteries will have to be changed every 2 (or so) years, so make sure the alarm siren box is out of the reach of any burglars, but accessible in order to change the batteries (D batteries I think).
Thanks Phil, that's good to know. I'd looked at the Yale HSA Essentials Alarm on Amazon (slightly cheaper than Screwfix). £100 is a reasonable amount of money for the security of ones tools and possessions, especially given their vulnerability away from the security of the house. I think this is the one I'll probably go for. Cheers

I’ve just set up a wireless system in the house, a Pyronix Enforcer. The workshop and separate detached garage have sensors on all doors, there’s no windows in either and PIR’s aren’t great in unheated external buildings. The house is now fully alarmed.

When we’re out, the whole house and outside buildings are alarmed, at night the same except upstairs.

if at home during the day or evening I have two zones I can set, garage and workshop, or just garage. If I’m in the workshop, just the garage is alarmed.

Last edited:
I woke in the middle of the night with a drug crazed guy going through my house. Strangely, since then I don't worry about being burgled.

I have a Yale smart alarm, smart because you can control it via an app. All the sensors connect wirelessly. I'm very happy with it. If WiFi is a problem you can easily use WiFi extenders to get the shed within range.

I mostly require the alarm to alert me to intrusion while we are at home. I don't really care about intruders while no one is home. That's what insurance is for.

I assume you already have physical deterrants such as high walls, goid exterior lighting, visibly strong, barred windows and a good door. A blaring alarm won't actually deter a thief, knowing that the local coppers are overworked and unlikely to attend an alarm...
I teach self defence and I always tell my students, don't get killed over possessions. There are things worth dying for, and mere possessions don't make the cut.

I had a battery operated alarm for my shed. It had to go inside the shed with the shed locked up and the house windows closed I couldn't hear it from the house! (12-15metres away)

The battery ones tend to be one unit and that has to be inside and dry. If that's still the case you might find that other than being painful on the ears they do less than you might expect.

Ive had a yale battery powered wireless on my house and workshop for the past 15 years. Cant fault it. Change the batteries yearly and log when you do. Really easy to set up and easy to add too. Only annouce I have with my system is it cant be zoned, the next one up can be.

Like Phil I have a pyronix system for the house and workshop with different settings to allow the workshop to be alarmed when we are in at night. It's linked to a local security firm who actually attend if it goes off (rather than than monitor the situation remotely and ring the police). Everything apart from the main board is battery operated and works well over the range.
I wasn't aware of difficulties with pir sensors in cold buildings?

I’ve used the Honeywell doorbell system. I‘ve one sounder in the house and one in the workshop. They repeat the signals so range is not an issue. You can then add door/window sensors and a motion detector. I’ve added one to the front gate (in a waterproof box), driveway gate, workshop door. Now if anyone opens either gate or the workshop you get a very loud sound (different for each sensor). I originally did this so I would get notified if anyone came to the house whilst I was in the workshop but it also serves as a bit of a deterrent. It’s not an alarm system but It’s a reasonable half way house, which doesn’t need arming or go off when no ones there. Ive also linked it so I get a notification on my phone but that’s not a standard feature and requires a bit of jiggery pokery....

When putting a PIR in my old outdoor workshop / shed - I was advised to use dual-mode detectors - heat and movement - to reduce false alarms due to small mammals and temperature fluctuations.

How many of you actually found insurance that covers your workshop? Most I've found have a £2k limit for outbuildings contents...

When putting a PIR in my old outdoor workshop / shed - I was advised to use dual-mode detectors - heat and movement - to reduce false alarms due to small mammals and temperature fluctuations.
Yes, it’s the changes in temperature that can affect them, giving false alarms. Even draughts coming in can trigger the detectors. Dual mode are better, but door contacts are best if the building lends itself to them. The PiRs in outbuildings can be set to double knock, so need activating twice within a given time to sound the alarm.

How many of you actually found insurance that covers your workshop? Most I've found have a £2k limit for outbuildings contents...
I‘m always moaning to the other half that my workshop isn’t big enough but the plus point is its a single garage integral to the house, is covered by the house alarm system, and as such has the same contents cover (yes I check whenever I change insurer) As the rest of the house.

It’s the silver lining to it not being as large as I’d like.

Padster

I‘m always moaning to the other half that my workshop isn’t big enough but the plus point is its a single garage integral to the house, is covered by the house alarm system, and as such has the same contents cover (yes I check whenever I change insurer) As the rest of the house.

It’s the silver lining to it not being as large as I’d like.

Padster
That and not having to go out in the rain to get to your workshop :)

Good advise - my false alarms have all coincided with a spider taking up residence in front of the PIR.

I woke in the middle of the night with a drug crazed guy going through my house. Strangely, since then I don't worry about being burgled.
Sorry, had to leave without completing the post...there was a drug crazed guy going through my house...
I had someone break into my house in the middle of the night a few years ago. It made me realise that the fear of it happening was greater than it actually happening. Once it did happen. I didn't worry about it any more..
PIRs are very easy to trick and make blind. If I did fit an alarm, I would only use dual technology PIR and microwave. Wireless just won't work in my house and I removed all the alarm wiring when I refurbished. I make sure I meet the requirements for security for insurance purposes. I never leave doors open during the day. I have latches or keypads.
External workshops are different They tend to be targets for thieves.

Back