workshop scms stand info.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a makita ls1214 scms with axminster stand, however it does take up a lot of room and is very awkward to move around the workshop. Can anybody recommend a workshop mitre saw table/stand which has fold down wings for storage plus sturdy wheels for easy manoeuvrability. Or would I be best to make my own. :?

Michel, I did not see your post until now otherwise I would have answered sooner.

Anyway what about the following:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PI ... 00--Dh-330

I have got the previous model to this one which was when it was badged Elektra Beckum, and it was very sturdy and as you can see you can adjust one of the legs if it is on an uneven surface.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PI ... rsal-Stand

This Dewalt one allows you to replace the wooden top if it gets damaged.

On the other hand if you have got particular requirements it may be better making your own.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

thank you for the info, I think I might be better off making my own because I was looking for a stand a bit like a trolley with brakes that could be moved around the workshop with ease, maybe with a cupboard or dust collection underneath. If I needed to use the saw out on site I would use the foldable axminster one. The problem I find with the axminster one is the legs sometimes fold in when moving around and it takes up a lot of room.

Thanks again :)

Michel

Michel

I have my Makita on a home made stand with a cupboard underneath, its on 4 4" braked wheels, easy to move around and stable when in use.

would be interested in seeing a pic of that if possible Waka?

Hi Michel,

Don't mean to hijack the thread but would be very interested in how you rate the LS1214 ?

Hoping to upgrade to that or the DW718 at some stage, but finding it difficult to get much feedback on relative pro's and con's.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Hi Paul,

no problem feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them :)

My thoughts so far on the LS1214 with work light: -

I have owned the saw for about 21 months now and don't regret my purchase at all, in fact I wouldn't like to be without it. I have used it mainly in the workshop so portability wasn't my top priority when I purchased. I was looking for maximum capacity, accuracy and durability. Which I have found the saw to be all 3 of these plus more. Although the machine is fairly heavy it is comparable with other 12inch saws. Therfore if you are looking for portability and not capacity you might be better off with a 10inch saw.

When I was looking to purchase I looked at Bosch, Electra Beckum/Metabo and Makita at the Axminster Show. I also looked at the DeWalt at my local dealers. I made my decision based on good reviews and recommendations.

However I was tempted with the Bosch (which was just being realised at the time). The only thing I disliked about the Bosch was the trench cut adjustment. You couldn't cut a trench, cut some wood and then go back to your trench setting without re-setting the depth.

The Makita has a depth stop very similar to the DeWalt which just swings in and out. I also prefered the build quality of the Makita.

If I was choosing now I think it would be a close battle between the Makita and DeWalt. However like I said above I'm perfectly happy with my choice.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either one as long as your requirements are the same as mine.

Hope this helps :)

Michel

Hello Michel,

I`ve just recently finished making a cupboard stand for my mitre saw. It`s built around a steel stand purchased from Rutlands and clad in birch plywood. I`ve also fitted the Kreg flipstop system. See photos. The stand is also mobile on four swivel and lock quality ballrace wheels. The handles screwed at the front on the top is so I have something to grab on to for moving the stand around.

crosscut_station1.jpg

crosscut_station2.jpg

Thanks Michel, very helpful.

Not concerned about portability, it's to be set up in the workshop for use there pretty much exclusively.

Like yourself am interested in accuracy, quality and capacity, don't want to spend a lot of money and get the capacity but find that the accuracy is pants !

Just need to get some user feedback on the DW718 now from somewhere......

Cheers, Paul. :D

Latest posts

Back