Workshop roof - Steel sheets.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The type of flashing sections shown in Shepton phils post are made from moulded GRP. They will fade to totally different colour to the rest of your roof but more importantly they close of the gap completely so there is no space for air movement , to allow any moisture in the cavity to escape at the point where the roof joins to the side of teh house
Ian

Hi Guys

Not posted for a long time albeit I've been busy in and around my workshop. This post caught my eye as I faced the same dilemma 2 years back.

My workshop was built circa 12 years ago and the roof construction was 100mm insulation, 18mm OSB and then shingles. The shingles failed in one corner which turned out to be critters... I did an emergency repair until the spring and then in the spring I finally decided on a steel sheet roof instead of more shingles as the price difference was only £200 ish.

Other than a few patches where the shingles were damaged the OSB was in good shape. The company that supplied the steel were excellent. I did a drawing and they took care of everything else. The back side of the roof extended an additional 1.2m to form a drystone at the back of the workshop and I also ordered some additional roofing for a planned extension. You'll see the extension and the dry store in the photos.

The steel company assured me that a decent membrane direct on the OSB and then the steel directly on that would be fine, just don't over tighten the bolts to protect the gaskets. I've done several checks since and there is no sign of condensation under the steel or in the roof space so all in all I'm very happy. Not to mention it looks fab.

I wouldn't hesitate in future.

Jon

P.S I know how we are all suckers for pictures on here, enjoy.

g96B8nk_WFVbqhE7ZW4RUSPiYagpbkvk_stAZS8CJlueE4SWBXmhXIePUD1qTy3kaNGFrETM9zMleflhO7ncth0G5fU4AMQfEgxVRjibUanyEgepQ7FrFFVhSrOSXRMS4UUeb41e=w2400

aCz9SNEw8Jneu4AddCk5eez4B2XUezcepZDdAZ-f3Sha-cnGQB0mkrLelzSDL4aboWhnHLnwypcHzcF4ZiF6rLxFmth-UmA59ZIF44mkGmRQtRiwImrxYGPLtxYBuNsFcso8M0sQ=w2400

UDV7CpsiCyj1qVvF_AajdWgaTh_0PxdeKtAPSidJk7mzb4Uo1J-S0QgjF-xGrpPK6Xw5AP8ucApvHfc62bFDLuzrKK1K0sz0nsOfDg95MS4_9XKvBOecU--90JkMhXz_b8LAAlXC=w2400

G4ardpUcdRlXlefhmvxIaREpd8OvM8gjX_u_KRK2pP_tdX4UxoUXFx0V-Cn_W51-SBT_mX-hjW_HEcQs6BgHZW4eK15Y-EgpC_DBlGsWKEXCAwlpApllg2qkmu4MjbIvs4PrGZy4=w2400

hSsBj1uI_QhmFItkny-mTd5wgsq8LEhOumZa5x9I8TeoAahRe_NWT35fBygWipoH0WLf0czasKuSI8O7l_7ZdnTWoNGbdikOjlUY6IXkpHIWG6X9pZk3-eFoT3sqQELaAPYn8KLB=w2400

When I built my workshop many years ago (20 now I think) I user 2x3 for all the walls and roof, Shiplaps on the external, OSB internal walls and insulation in between... Basic contraction.

The roof stated leaking a few years ago and as an emergency measure I brought a huge tarp from Screwfix (8mx5m) which just covered the roof, this lasted until last year when I managed to buy a shed load, no pun intended!, of box section roofing (when I went to collect I ended up getting a load more that I brought, enough to put an extension on the workshop and build a forge shed!).

Anyway, rather the rip the old roof off I just put the box section on top, great, not a single leak :)

I wish I had done this when I first built the workshop!

Back