Workshop roof fall calculation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so the new build is now up to dpc, I am sourcing some easi joists for the roof but cannot get my head around the calculation for the firings to give ne a reasonable advised 1:40 fall over a 5 m span. Can anyone clear my befuddled aging brain on what size firings I need to cut to give me the correct fall? These are to go under the easi joists.

Attachments

• E5B95E6E-B2CB-4077-B31A-1FEF01A43FD0.jpeg
    E5B95E6E-B2CB-4077-B31A-1FEF01A43FD0.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 22
1:40 is minimum for foul drains a roof can survive with less fall.

Just to elaborate on this:

According to BS 6229 & BS 8217, flat roofs should be designed with minimum falls of 1:40 to ensure a finished fall of 1:80 can be achieved, allowing for any inaccuracies in the construction. This applies to general roof areas along with any internal gutters.

1 in 80 is theoretical min fall for rain to run off.

However flat roofs may have joists that dip and felt often has bumps and ridges and a 1 in 80 fall may result in ponding.

When building orangeries with either fibreglass or EPDM membrane I found a fall of 1 in 50 to 1 in 60 worked fine

When you say "These are to go under the easi joists" are you raising one end of the joists to give the fall, firings usually go on the top.

Unless that's the intention, with the firings under neath to give you a flat ceiling.

I suspect you are talking about 'furrings'- 'firing' is lighting a fire or shooting a gun!! Sorry to be pedantic, but then just to be doubly sure I was correct, I did find this on Google as a touch of 'questionable' humour

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=furring
I did enjoy Adam W's rule of thumb, which does conveniently turn into 1 inch beam depth for every metre of span - isn't it fun to muddle up units.
Rob

Yes Firrings to go on top of easi span beams with warm roof over these. Again many thanks to all

Back