Workshop - pre fab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howjoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Going on from my first post about starting to kit myself out, I've been searching for supplier of quality pre-fab workshops.

I saw Gill's workshop and have contacted Tudors (Hereford) for a quote - they'll be ringing back today with prices. This will be a 14 x 8 'heavy duty' workshop. Unfortunately, they won't do a 'delivery and erect/construct' job on it as I'm too far out for them - Hertforshire. I've considered putting it up myself, but apparently, it's 2/3 man job.

Do you folks know of any other firms who will do this? Passmores ( http://www.passmores.co.uk/products/gar ... kshops.htm ) will, but I don't know anyone who has experienced them or if the construction of it is heavy enough for what I want. :?

Not trying to be facetious but assuming it's just labour you want how about Uni students who have probably packed up by now...or the local pub? mates ? neighbours? It's what i'd try first as i prefer to stick to a known good product.

Rogre

maybe u can find a local builder/handyman to erect it. Or at least help you.

Having seen how the staff from Tudor's went about erecting my workshop (they had work breaks in between their mugs of tea :) ) I'd suggest that whoever assembles it should have some experience of putting those sorts of buildings together. Moreover, if Tudors own staff don't assemble the shop and there are subsequent faults, it'll be more difficult to establish their liability - they could blame it on faulty assembly.

I'm rather surprised there are no workshop manufacturers in your area who are of the same standard as Tudors and who could also provide a comprehensive service.

Gill

Howdy howjoe!

Based on the pics Gill posted, I deduce that you are talking about constructing a shed from prefabricated parts. That is something that can be done even working alone. You can excavate and pour your slab yourself if you do your homework in the library. Erecting the panels is not difficult if you use boards between the panels and stakes driven in the ground to plumb them (again, these techniques are well documented). Though the photos didn't really show it, I deduce that the roof joists and rafters come prefabricated as well. If you fashion an inclined plane using a couple of 2x6's (is that the correct terminology in GB?) you can, without help, move them onto the walls after they are erected, plumbed and linked together.

The first construction project I undertook alone was the demolition of a 12x12 deck attached to my house, replacing it with a 16x16 porch and a deck fanning out on two sides another 10 feet. The roof peak was ~ 20' above the ground. I hired out the masonry work to erect the piers required and had help from my brother applying asphalt shingles (needed the help to speed the job). Otherwise, I did all of the rest of the work including wiring, rough carpentry, trim carpentry, and constructing screen panels. The walls were 'stick-built' (not prefab). The porch floor and roof were made of tongue and groove materials. The deck was made of '2 by' pressure treated southern yellow pine. I purchased scissors trusses for joists and rafters because I wanted to have an extended ceiling and didn't have the space to do the necessary jigs to ensure consistency in size and construction. I made wooden windows and screens and learned how to cut stringers for stairs, too. The only experience I had before jumping in was trim carpentry (crown and base moulding, window and door facing, etc.

Don't sell yourself short. Research and investigate how each step should be done; plan ahead; take your time; and most of all -- have fun.

BobH

Thanks folks.

With time at home being very short at the mo, I'd rather pay the supplier to put it up. I need it in place before I buy all my tools and equipment.

Really like the Tudors' products, so am going to look a bit more thoroughly locally for a similar quality.

What sound proofing techniques do you all use...? A friend of mine had what looked like a stiff type of foam with foil on one side and sanwiched between 5mm ply.

Back