Workshop planning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm planning a small workshop in the garage. The floor space is smaller than the typical 1-car garage as there's already a wall partitioning the back off from the main part.

I've done a bit of a sketch in AutoCAD (a bit of a skive off from work) and would like some input on the layout and particularly some input on a couple of questions I have.

Firstly, the layouts:
GarageWorkshopSmall.jpg

You'll find a larger version of the image here.

To explain:
The garage door is a segmented up-and-over type so there has to be a gap between anything I put in there and the door to allow space for door hardware and rails. It also means I can't use the roof/ceiling as a storage area.
I'll refer to the end with the garage door as the "top end" and the end with the internal door as the "bottom end" - I'll use those terms with regards to things like the workbench too.

The ceiling height is 2250mm (about 7' 4")
The concrete floor slopes towards garage door (fall isn't excessive but I'll need to account for it when making things).

It's my intention to build some cupboards from the floor to just below the ceiling to store everyday stuff (currently it's all on open shelves) and also to enclose the small chest freezer. The main reason for this as opposed to keeping it all open is to keep things as dust free as possible.
I'll also have some shelves or small cupboards above the freezer (high enough above to allow the top to open fully).

The large thing over the workbench will be a tool cabinet along similar lines (though nothing like as big) as the one Lord Nibbo made as shown here.

The "wood storage" area is going to have to be smaller than I would like by necessity. Any wider and the space between cupboards and bench will become too small I think. It will mean less-than-ideal conditions for storing wood, but I don't anticipate having a huge stockpile anyway. Sheet stock would be stored on edge (gasp! horror! yea - I know) as would wider planks.

Option 2 does have a slightly smaller workbench, but in that case I'd build up the (top opening) enclosure for the chest freezer to the same level as the bench top effectively giving a bench almost the full length of the garage. (Possibly without dog-holes for the last part though, depending on which one of a few approaches I take)

The main difference between options 1 and 2 seem to be:
Option 1 allows things to hang off both ends of the bench.
Option 1 allows me to get around the end of the bench (by the end vise).
Option 1 allows things to hang off both ends of the bench.
Option 2 has potential for a longer "bench" when using the freezer cabinet top too.
I suppose Option 2 still provides a useful space on top of the freezer for putting things like grinders for sharpening chisels, irons, gouges and the likes.

Power tool storage will mostly be below the bench, though some may go in the cupboards if there's not enough space there. I've got to find a home for a bench-top bandsaw, a lathe, a table saw, a few grinders, a bench-top pillar drill, some hand power tools like sanders and so on. The table saw is on legs, but I expect I'll unscrew them, dump it all under the bench and just re-build the TS when I need it. It's FAR from ideal but I don't have enough space for ideal. I think I'll have enough space to store it all and though it means a complete pain-in-the-backside working method it's the best I can see for the space I have available.

Most likely I'll need to use the tablesaw outside on the driveway when it comes to things like 8x4 boards. I think things will be too cramped in the workshop to use a tablesaw and stand to the side for safety.

As I need the tools I'll most likely be taking them from under the bench and placing or clamping them on top, putting them on the freezer-cabinet or putting them on a "workmate" type thing I've got.

So - input please.
I'm after suggestions about which layout seems better (particularly which would make for a "better" bench) and any improvements you can suggest.
The wood storage can't be as wide as I would like, but can you suggest an "absolute minimum" if there is such a thing? I'd like to store as much as I can lying flat, but anything wide will have to go on edge.

A bit of a long post, thanks for reading and I look forwards to any replies you can give.

Oh, one minor (as in really bloody major) detail I forgot to add...

Intended use!

I'll be using the workshop to furnish a bedroom, do some woodturning, build a rocking horse (the late cabinetmaker I got all the main tools from was a rocking horse maker, I got his templates and feel I'd like to have a shot at some point) make a bow (I've got a stave of Ash here waiting to have its inner bow brought out), make some picture frames and various other things.

There's not a single "defintiely gonna be doing loads of this" to build around as it's a hobby shop - though I'll probably do a fair bit of turning.

But there is another plus for Option 1. If I put the lathe on top of that workbench, I'd be able to configure it so the motor hung over the end of the bench allowing me to turn much bigger things than I'd be able just over the bed. Dunno if I'll ever need that ability, but I suppose it's something to consider.

I'd go for option 1 - the bench right up against the freezer would be a very bad idea. You'd find out why as soon as you started using it. You mention that the floor slopes. When you fit the bench, make sure that the top is level by packing up the legs if necessary - a sloping bench would not be good.

Don't know how you are going to fit in a lathe as well :? You'd soon get fed up lifting it on and off the bench. Maybe you need a shed as well?

Good luck :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Bigshot

My initial reaction was for layout 1 and after reading your text I still think option 1 is the best for the following reasons:

1) I like lots of space round my bench

2) If you do need to work on anything really long then you can open the inner door.

3) I like keeping all storage etc together. I reckon if you had your tool cabinets in option 2 you'd be tearing your hair out trying to get to the wood etc.

4) Option 1 - your workshop splits nicely into a storage half and a working half

Bit confused re hanging the motor off the end? Don't you need a tail stock to support the other end in which case the height of that limits your work. Where will you put the lathe when it's not being used and don't forget a really big lathe of the type you aspire to is bloody heavy to keep lifting on and off.

Paul
Definitely gonna try for a level bench top.
No chance of a shed. No space for it I'm afraid.

Roger
Motor off end...
For some things I'd need a spindle, yea, but if turning something like a bowl or plate and wanted to go bigger than over bed would allow I'd remove the tailstock and slide the motor to the opposite end so the workpiece could hang off the end. It's not ideal and would need a different solution for the tool rest, but it's an option at least.
Motor, Tailstock and Banjo are all mounted on cylindrical rails which are clamped into a foot at either end - it's trivial to move the motor end to the tailstock end if the need arises (subject to provision for a tool rest that is)
This isn't actually a major concern though - just an open option if the need arises.

I hadn't thought about opening the door for working on things. Which is odd, as in the early planning stages I though I'd be able to use that to my advantage with a my table saw. Ah well.

As for the wood storage. I expect that will mainly be accessible by pulling it out from the top end of the shop (out the garage door and then back in to work on) I might rethink that but that's my current (loose) plan.
Do you have a better suggestion? From your comment it sounds like we're picturing different things here.

To both of you...
The lathe will go under the bench and when needed be lifted up and bolted (or possibly clamped) in place.

I've already got a lathe (got it in with the other stuff the cabinet maker left behind).
Yep, I'll probably get fed up lifting it up and down but that's life.

I think it's pretty sure I'll go for option 1 after the advice so far.
I'll be doing a bit more drawing before I get it built and will have some more questions soon.

Anyone else who has input on this so far though - please keep chipping in.

BigShot":gm117xyd said:
Yep, I'll probably get fed up lifting it up and down but that's life.

Don't under-estimate the irritation factor of having to move everything when you want to use the lathe. Your proposed workshop looks nice, clean and empty in the drawings but will soon become full of a thousand and one things once you start using it. If you haven't the room for all the stuff you'd like to use, my experience is that it's better to be pragmatic do without them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Well if I start to lose patience with it I'll sell some of the gear off.
For the time being I think I'll see how I get on though. :)

Thinking about it, anything I can't face setting up and putting down again will end up shoved to the back of my setup and sit gathering dust. Anything that happens to long enough will be gone.

Doing it this way is probably the best way for me to figure out what I need in my shop before I actually get rid of any of it.

It has to be said though, I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect of setting up and down so much but I think I've got a system planned that should make it as quick and painless as it can be.

Time will tell if I'm right on that front.

Back