Workshop planner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

It works pretty well but of course you need to approximate the grizzly stuff to more familiar machinery.

And no, I am unfortunately not planning a new workshop - merely trying to find a better way of organising my existing one! I forget which UK magazine it was but a series called "Corke on Call" had a fellow called - unsurprisingly - Mark Corke who travelled the country advising people how to organise their shops better. I need someone like him but he seems to have disappeared to the USA

Hey, I'd like to think I was the master of working in a "small" shop. Although if Chris can afford that smoother, I'm sure having a couple of chaps come in and pop in a bit of an extra concrete base in that large expanse of garden for an extra 'shop/storage/metal working/spraying space, I reckon would be no problem :lol:

Adam

Hi All,

Chris, thank you for starting this thread and Neil thank you for pointing me in the direction of the software.

As you may or may not know i am about to revamp my workshop and this software will me sort it out. I had no idea that it was even available.

Regards

Mike.C

"Corke on Call" was in GWW IIRC. Used to enjoy that myself. Presumably you're trying to find space for that monstrous plane, eh Chris? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Neil,
Thanks for that other link - I tried it yonks ago but lost track of it.

Mike,
Good luck with your revamp efforts - in past iterations of my own I have found that mobile bases for machines and making use of the space under them helped a lot.

Adam, no problem at all - if I could persuade the Home Secretary to grant planning permission. About as much chance of that as my next couple of planes being Holteys.. And by the way you are welcome any time for a bit of space consultation!

Alf, many a true word...

waterhead37":2sg3k12y said:
Adam, no problem at all - if I could persuade the Home Secretary to grant planning permission. About as much chance of that as my next couple of planes being Holteys.. And by the way you are welcome any time for a bit of space consultation!

Alf, many a true word...

Come on, I'm sure you could at least squeeze a couple of extra garden sheds in, or an outhouse for the dust extractor?

If I'm ever that way, I'll call in and say hello!

Adam

Chris, that Grizzly link is fantastic (one of the best uses of Flash I've seen in a while :)).

If you check under the 'Misc' items section, you can find a sleeping dog, among a great many other things. It also had the essential fridge and washer/dryer icons so many of us have to accomodate!

Contrary to what my eyes tell me in my own garage shop, it seems I *do* have room for a table saw. Imagine my excitement... :)

Chris

waterhead37":s2k9djj2 said:
Neil, Thanks for that other link - I tried it yonks ago but lost track of it.

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read your post as I cannot beieve that I have a woodworking link that isn't in your favourites. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi all

When i moved house last November I finally got myself a garage as a workshop.

I measured the width and breadth of very piece of kit and storage cupboard and drew a top plan of them in Coreldraw (any drawing program will do) and then simply placed them in a drawing of the garage outline. The mouse will drag them anywhere you want.

Worked really well and the layout hasn't changed since the drawing was made - in fact the drawing remained blutacked to the wall for the first 4 months as reference.

Try it, it works

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Easy Designer is a very simple, no cost/low cost, workshop layout software that is designed specifically for woodworkers. You can download it in minutes and be using it properly within an hour.

It already has images of tablesaws, jointers etc.

The really good thing is that you can also feed in the cfm rates for planning your extraction.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil

I downloaded the easyshop program to look at later.

I used Corel because I have been using successive versions of it since 1991 and so very easy to sort layout.

By the way, have you used the Jet kit to make anything yet? How was it?

Cheers

Tony

Tony":5fmzgnua said:
By the way, have you used the Jet kit to make anything yet? How was it?

Yes thats a very good question :D Does it all work OK?

Oh also do you get the beard in one of the boxes along with check shirt and don't forget the [tap tap] safety glasses :wink:

Hi Tony/DaveL

The HR problems I have at work have just got worse and I am working seven days a week at the moment.

So, in answer to your question, I have not used any of the new kit in anger yet. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

Neil

Sorry to hear that mate, must be hell. :(
Hope the HR sorts itslef out soon.

Cheers

Tony

Back