Workshop Personal Safety Equipment for the Little Ones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Hi,

My seven year old lad loves coming into the workshop and helping out. He's also just had his first go on the lathe and turned a very impressive light pull, (thos Wilkie friction drives are great).

But, the trouble is that stuff designed to protect the wearer from flying things and dust are generally sized for the bigger person.

Face protection is fine with the Axminster face shield as this is adjustable and ear defenders seem to fit fine too. But, all the dust masks I have tried seem to either leave big gaps around the edges and so are useless or restrict vision to such an extent to be dangerous.

I have been toying with the idea of buying the Trend Airshield for myself and seeing if it would fit him with me reverting to a dustmask when he's in the workshop. Anyone know if these would be a good fit?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for littl'uns?

TIA

Barry,
Kids' heads are large by comparison with the rest of their body. I suspect the airshield would fit just fine - my Racal (now defunct) airshield did for my grandchildren and they are perfectly normal for their ages (12, 11,9). They first used it at age 8 to be precise which was when I let them loose (so to speak) on machinery.

Thanks for the thought Chris.
I must admit that large hat sizes runs in the family and so he'll probably be okay. Also gives me a good excuse/reason to buy one.

I had thought of one of the small comfort masks sealed around the edges with duct tape :wink: but think he might not like it when it comes to taking it off. :shock:

Back