Workshop Must Have's...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Barto":3kmsfytc said:
Steve Maskery":3kmsfytc said:
My Dad was a cabinet maker and did everything he could to dissuade us from going down the same path. He threatened to cut our hands off, actually.

Why'd he do that? (genuine question)

My dad was not well-paid. After WW2 he spent some time in a cabinet-makers shop. Somewhere there is a picture of him carrying a wardrobe over his head. I think the point was that it was made of very thin ply! After a while trying to be self-employed (he was never a businessman) he took a job in a psychiatric hospital and that is all I remember of his working life, as he started before I was born. It was hourly paid, not as well-paid as similar manual trades, but secure. He was there 29 years.

But the low pay was not something he wanted for us. I remember mum having to wait until he came home with his pay packet so she could go up to the shop and buy some sausages. He wanted us to go and get a better job. I was the first to go to university (a common thing for people of my age, of course).

We never got any career advice at school, it was just a factory for producing university students, really, but that was seen as good. Now that I am at the end of my working life with no career at all, I'm not so sure it was! I have made a lot of very poor decisions in my life and now I am reaping the harvest of that, unfortunately.

Dad died 20 years ago. I had just made my dining chairs and I took one into hospital to show him. I think it pleased him, even though it was nothing like he had ever seen, let alone made.

So dad's threat was because he wanted something better for us. I'm afraid that I think I've let him down.

Steve Maskery":acip0sr3 said:
El Barto":acip0sr3 said:
Steve Maskery":acip0sr3 said:
My Dad was a cabinet maker and did everything he could to dissuade us from going down the same path. He threatened to cut our hands off, actually.

My dad was not well-paid. After WW2 he spent some time in a cabinet-makers shop. Somewhere there is a picture of him carrying a wardrobe over his head. I think the point was that it was made of very thin ply! After a while trying to be self-employed (he was never a businessman) he took a job in a psychiatric hospital and that is all I remember of his working life, as he started before I was born. It was hourly paid, not as well-paid as similar manual trades, but secure. He was there 29 years.

But the low pay was not something he wanted for us. I remember mum having to wait until he came home with his pay packet so she could go up to the shop and buy some sausages. He wanted us to go and get a better job. I was the first to go to university (a common thing for people of my age, of course).

We never got any career advice at school, it was just a factory for producing university students, really, but that was seen as good. Now that I am at the end of my working life with no career at all, I'm not so sure it was! I have made a lot of very poor decisions in my life and now I am reaping the harvest of that, unfortunately.

Dad died 20 years ago. I had just made my dining chairs and I took one into hospital to show him. I think it pleased him, even though it was nothing like he had ever seen, let alone made.

So dad's threat was because he wanted something better for us. I'm afraid that I think I've let him down.

Thanks for the reply Steve. While obviously I know nothing about you or your relationship with your old man, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. He was probably (and still would be) proud of you one way or another.

Steve Maskery":374adc9x said:
El Barto":374adc9x said:
Steve Maskery":374adc9x said:

I don't think so Steve. My dad, was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker but died when I was just five years old. You know Steve, I feel him at my shoulder when I work with wood, he is there with me, sussing it all out and boy have I made some fantastic stuff, I am very, very good at what I do (so I am told) I have trained many apprentices and passed on my real world skills and knowledge, but that is what 'he' gave me.
I know he would be proud and that is precious to me. We are all (if we are very lucky) the men our fathers inspired, we start out on our path prepared and guided towards the things we are deemed to have an aptitude for and with luck and with their best example and code, sometimes a man does well, excels, and passes it on.

There is only one way to let a real carpenter down and that is to become a bricklayer, :) at least you aint that bad mate. :)

Steve Maskery":317kqcb4 said:

A lot of people make poor decisions. Some are inside for Murder and a multitude of other devious crimes. Now they're reaping their harvest so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, Steve. As Sinatra said: I did it my way. It might not have been the best way in how you view your present circumstances, but its a damn site better than a lot of others are in.

Thank you everyone for the replies really appreciate it so much obliged.

A couple of posters suggested maybe it's more of wanting a workshop rather then purposely building one to make things & the truth is that's correct.
I'm luckily enough to have a big garden & when I moved here I knew what projects I wanted to do of which I've already built a games room at the end of the garden, a small outdbuilding for when visitors stay & when doing these jobs I envied anyone who "let's say knew they had a workplace, knew they could bring which ever tool in and out of the workshop, having the correct tools etc.
So yes it's more of a place where I can call my workshop where I'll know what's there what's where if I need this or need that it's all there & of course I enjoy building things like this, I'm a dryliner & can plaster so apart from the electrician everything will be done on my own.

Once again thanks for all your replies

I too have a workshop, because I can
not a lot comes out of it
but so much time, junk, money goes into it
I think that it is a hobby all on its own
nothing wrong with that in my eyes
I would hate to be without it
at least when SWMBO says can you? I can say yes I will try

maybe best advice is to start to make something, decide you can't do it because you need xyz
and then ask us again what xyz we would recommend

Steve

pcb1962":7sid3w34 said:
+1 Though first, make a pair of saw stools, which will come in handy for constructing the bench. A decent bench and vice are invaluable for practically anything you're likely to make in a workshop.

Yes, a bench is a good idea. But you can start with a Workmate and build a bench. And then use that bench to make a better one. Well, that's what I did. And one day soon I shall do it again. :)
S

I'm basically still a woodworking 'newbie' after just over 2 and a half years doing it, and my initial purchases and workshop setup were all driven by the only project I was asked to do - build an integrated home office desk and draws using as much left over oak flooring as I could. I never actually intended to get into woodworking, but this project got me hooked.

One of my first purchase was the TS200 tablesaw.

My dilemma to start with is that I needed to rip long lengths of oak to face the table legs. There was just no way as a rank beginner I had the skills to do that with hand saws and planes. I could have learnt it, but the job needed doing.

Buying this was a revelation as I could quickly made long, very accurate cuts with just some sanding to finish.

For me, that was the right tool for the project. For others, that might sound like a silly idea.

Away from the pressure of that project I can now see the attraction of hand tool working, but your path will probably change anyway, as you progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Maskery":mogfmyk2 said:
On the subject of painting the walls, my previous workshop was built of breeze block. I painted it white. That was a mistake.

My BIL built a workshop. His was breeze block. He skimmed his out before painting it white. I was envious. It was so much easier to keep clean. Mine use to get really clogged up with dust, I had to vac the walls.

I'll second that.

The previous owner of my garage painted the blocks inside the garage, so I just continued to freshen them up. And yes, it's a pain in the backside as it collects a tonne of dust and requires brushing or hoovering.

Jonny

JonnyW":1eno9z5a said:
Steve Maskery":1eno9z5a said:
On the subject of painting the walls, my previous workshop was built of breeze block. I painted it white. That was a mistake.

My BIL built a workshop. His was breeze block. He skimmed his out before painting it white. I was envious. It was so much easier to keep clean. Mine use to get really clogged up with dust, I had to vac the walls.

I'll second that.

The previous owner of my garage painted the blocks inside the garage, so I just continued to freshen them up. And yes, it's a pain in the backside as it collects a tonne of dust and requires brushing or hovering.

Jonny

My last room I plasterboarded & jointed it, this time I may just skim the walls

Back