Workshop Mitre Saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronan James

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I am shaping up to design and build a humble workshop early next year. I am going to build a mitre saw workstation and I am looking for some recommendations for a suitable saw which won't break the bank. I think an 8" to 10" sliding mitre saw will suit my needs. My budget is €200 to €450, accuracy is a priority as this saw will be used for finish carpentry.
I'd appreciate any recommendations members might have.
Thanks and happy xmas 🎄

I can absolutely recommend the Bosch GCM8SJL Professional - I've had it 6 or 7 years now and I love it. The only thing I would point out is that it's only a single bevel. It's never been a problem for me, but it is something you might want to consider. It would fit somewhere in the middle of your budget, I would think.

Yeah, thats a good choice for your budget, right in the middle.

The only thing I would point out is that it's only a single bevel. It's never been a problem for me, but it is something you might want to consider.
Ahh yes, leading to the 'Now which way do I lay this piece ? '..... and inevitably you check, make the cut....

... And realize you've cut the 2nd mitre the wrong way around :LOL: :LOL:

I can absolutely recommend the Bosch GCM8SJL Professional - I've had it 6 or 7 years now and I love it. The only thing I would point out is that it's only a single bevel. It's never been a problem for me, but it is something you might want to consider. It would fit somewhere in the middle of your budget, I would think.

Seconded. I've been using this saw for a couple of years and have found it to be very accurate and reliable. With a good freud blade fitted you can get cuts of a quality for furniture etc.

I've also got the Bosch GCM8SJL and very happy with it. Only issue is is the front to back physical size as the rails are long. The other good thing is that it has a 70mm depth of cut which is good for a 216mm blade. Dust extraction is middling.

Thanks for ur input. Do u have ur saw connected to some sort of dust extraction?

Dust collection on mitre saws in general is notoriously poor. I use mine connected to a Numatic NVD750. It collects most but not all the dust. If you want to improve extraction some people build (or buy) extractor hoods that enclose the saw. Not worth the effort for me but it depends on your workshop set up I guess.

Used without any extraction you will have a lot of cleaning up to do!

An extra 2 inches makes a lot of difference, get a 12 inch if you can push the budget.

I think this advice has to be put in context. It really depends on the type of work you do. You only need a big 12" saw if you regularly cut deep timbers. The GCM8SJL can cut 300+mm wide boards with a depth of cut of 70mm at 0deg (less when cutting bevels). For a carpenter/joiner then sure, a bigger saw with a greater depth of cut would be a necessary investment. For someone (like me) making furniture and smaller decorative items then an 8" saw with the specs above is more than adequate.

For someone (like me) making furniture and smaller decorative items then an 8" saw with the specs above is more than adequate.
But that is now, you may find yourself wanting to do something bigger and that is really frustrating when your saw is young yet too small, I had a 10 inch mid range and found on some jobs it just did not cut deep enough to get through and had to cut from the other side.

But that is now, you may find yourself wanting to do something bigger and that is really frustrating when your saw is young yet too small, I had a 10 inch mid range and found on some jobs it just did not cut deep enough to get through and had to cut from the other side.

I guess though I have no intentions of becoming a carpenter/joiner. And if I did then I'd sell my little saw and invest in a bigger one. No need to splash the cash on a big saw just in case imo. The OP will have a better idea of what his particular needs are.

I guess though I have no intentions of becoming a carpenter/joiner. And if I did then I'd sell my little saw and invest in a bigger one. No need to splash the cash on a big saw just in case imo. The OP will have a better idea of what his particular needs are.
I tend to agree, I had to cut some large 200x100 timbers during the summer and I did think "oh it would be so much easier with bigger saw" but then I got out my hand saw and dealt with the 20 cuts in pretty quick time, haven't had the need since. If I was doing this regularly or with compound cuts then I'd buy or borrow a bigger saw but 99% of the time the 216mm is fine for the work I do. The lower weight is also a bonus when taking it to the job.

Thanks for ur input. Do u have ur saw connected to some sort of dust extraction?
Yes, I have it connected to a DX4000 (dual motor) dust extractor, it get's 80% of the dust (total guess) but every so often I do need to clean round the back of the saw. The dust collection is much better than an evolution I have and better than a dewalt 774 I borrowed but worse than a Makita LS1019 I've had demoed.

I like the Bosch products and the https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gcm-12-gdl-12-double-bevel-glide-professional-mitre-saw does stand out but my engineering head is saying complex mechanism and lots of points to wear. I use the Bosch 12 inch with slide rails and yes it does need room to the rear. If I was going to buy a new saw today then I would take a closer look at the Makita https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-ls1219l-305mm-compound-mitre-saw-with-laser-guide as it has forward rails but would be biased towards the Bosch, they do make really good tools and I have used them over the last forty plus years with no complaints.

We had a couple of brand new LS1219s on a restaurant fit-out I was on about 3 years back. I found the fence depressing and there were accuracy issues when cutting large mahogany cornice mouldings because on one of the saws (more than the other) the head tended to droop a bit towards the end of the bevel cuts. Needed to use the firm's kit because my Kapex wasn't big enough (but TBH it has to be a really big section to be too big for the Fessy). Not a fan of 12in saws - I've used DWs, a Milwaukee and various Makitas over the last 20 years (mainly hires, often new or nearly new) and they all suffer from rail flex and blade wobble to a far greater extent than the slightly smaller 10in saws from the same stable

I have the (now discontinued, it seems) Bosch GCM10SD, which seemed at the time a sensible compromise between the 8, which didn't have a lot of cutting capacity, and the 12, which I couldn't lift onto the stand.

I've posted it before, but for dust control this works brilliantly - almost nothing escapes. 100mm connection at the bottom back. It's huge and looks daft, and is far too expensive, but I'm very happy with it.

Dust hood.JPG

Latest posts

Back