Workshop machinery dust covers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knew if anyone knows of a suppler of workshop machinery covers. I’m thinking for things like my bandsaw and table saw as the workshop gets very cold in the autumn/winter and I want to avoid rust. Mainly so I can cover them up in the evening and put them to bed!!

Single car garage for me, uninsulated. I use camelia oil on all my cast iron. For the planer, i cover it in a moving blanket - think they were £5 from a storage place. very rarely (usually when I forget to oil the bandsaw table) do I see even the merest sight of rust.

I've got a fitted canvas cover that goes over my engineering lathe, mostly to keep sawdust off it. That's all. But my workshop is a single garage attached to the house, so not cold in there.

I used to use a thick blanket over my milling machine when I had it and it didn't rust. If I remembered I would put a rag that I covered in oil on the bed.

I was told that steel was less likely to rust in a timber shed rather than a brick garage as the shed could breath. I am not sure if that as true or not.

Interestingly ive got a shipping container workshop. When i had my first winter, the machines started getting surface rust. I cleaned them up, got some waterproof fabric i had, covered each one up and a week later, rusted again! I tried blankets but still rust. In the end i insulated the ceiling, got a good dehumidifier and its been fine since. I do wax mine now too and apparently if you wax, then heat the metal with a hot air gun ( or hairdrier ) the wax seeps into the pores / grain of the metal and does a better job

I got mine originally from Axminster Power Tools. It was many years ago and I dont know if they still do them but may be worth a look.

I wonder if garden furniture/bbq/sunshade covers might work. Our local gdn ctr has an extensive range if sizes.

There is a seller on eBay called The Undercover Workshop (link, homepage) that makes dust covers for various bits of machinery, mostly metalworking (lathes, welders etc) but it looks like they will also custom make covers too. I haven't purchased from them, but I looked at a used lathe which came with one of their covers, and it seemed to be decent quality.

Get down to dunelm or similar and buy some bedsheets. Will keep off the dust and are breathable as well. If you have access to a sewing machine you can make your own custom ones ! Single one with the elasticated bottom fits my lathe a treat and the elasticated bit fits over the drip tray very neatly.

I use moving blankets. There are £1 and £5 variants, the slightly more expensive ones are much nicer.

I use moving blankets. There are £1 and £5 variants, the slightly more expensive ones are much nicer.
There not just anyold blankets there M&S blankets 😁😁😁 Thanks for the idea we just moved and got a few to dispose of so there going into workshop I did notice whilst in storage in a container for Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb i did get a few rust spots but not seen any as yet in garage workshop

Back