Workshop Lodgers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_0619.JPG

My work shop atracts a large number of spiders who seem to love the dust. So much so they seem to be reluctant to move far from it whenever I disturb them. This one was particularly unwilling to move drilling, screwing, unscrewing on repeat very close to it. When it was still in the same spot two days later I had a closer look and found out why it wasn't moving. Think the poor pipper must have been squished last time I used the Swarfega it was hiding behind but it was so well preserved it looked very much alive. Or maybe I need to get back to Specsavers!

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 591
I saw a massive 3"+ one RUN into the offcut corner today.

Leaving it for someone else, not going to be my problem! :lol:

As a caretaker in an almost 50 yr old school, large spiders are a daily occurance. Don't particularly like them but with an all female staff it's always me they come screaming to.

Plenty of racing spiders in my workshop, I usually give them a blast with the compressor gun to shift them out the door.

My current "temporary" workshop has a tortoise that parks up every night, but he has gone to hibernate now, not sure where. I have a chicken who insists on breaking in to lay eggs - seriously wish she wouldn't. Creepy crawlies are on another level - scorpions particularly like wood...I've been lucky so far, only stung once.
050527-039.jpg

I expect SunnyBob will win this game - the warmer the temperature, the bigger the beast, except Cornwall has bigger spiders than anywhere else in the world. (I may be exaggerating a smidgen).

Attachments

• 050527-039.jpg
    050527-039.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 521
See a spider, kill a spider, has always been my motto. They just have too many legs.
The largest found was only this summer, in May. It was around 5" across and was identified as a huntsman spider. The second picture down on this page
http://bnellis.eu/nature/natspider.html

Multiple white and black segments, looked more like a zebra to me. I was overruled on that one, and my wife and daughter between them managed to get it over the back wall alive.
But the things that really make my flesh creep are very small. Back in the UK I called them silverfish, and you usually got them around damp areas. here they love laying between door frames and wood scraps. and fall out at me when I move stuff. They get terminated with extreme prejudice.
The only scorpions I have ever seen here are tiny, not much over 1".
The first time I saw one, barely the inch long, I called over the Cypriot I was working with and said in typical tourist fashion "ooh, look, a scorpion" he came over, took one look to confirm my diagnosis, and ground it into mush under his boot heel. "they are poisonous" was his only comment.

Being surrounded by farmland we get a few rats and the occasional snake. There have been 4 snakes in our garden that I have seen, luckily none of the poisonous ones, but they come and go and bother no one.
Lizards and skinks.... Billions of lizards. Take 5 steps across any waste ground and youve disturbed at least two.
My garage roof is an apex shape, T&G boards across with tiles over, and I can hear them scuttling about under the tiles all the time. They are quite amusing and they often get quite close to us when we are sitting in the garden, but so far we havent managed to tame any. We find their egg shells in the garden stones every year.

I said Sunny Bob would win, but I hadn't considered the antipodean contingent - just wait until the Aussies wake up....spiders? Fancy finding one of these lurking in your scrap bucket?
maxresdefault.jpg

Latest posts

Back