workshop location problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
We have just moved into our new house (eventually) and my first major job is to get a workshop (shed) built.

I was planning to have it between our house and the neigbours, as it is quite a good size passageway. There are some scruffy rasied beds up against the neighbours wall (There's is an end terrace, so they don't have any land at the side of there house.) They vary from about 2ft to 4 ft wide, about 3ft high and 14ft long. I was origionally thinking of removing the beds and leveling the land, but i'm now in two minds about leaving the beds as they are, building some brick pillars and having the workshop raised off the ground.

Also i'm worried that when removing the beds i might cause problems with next doors foundations as we are on a bit of a hill and there floor level is about 6ft above ours.

What would you chaps do?

Thanks in advance

Matt.

would the noise from your workshop not disturb the neighbours if they are that close.
If not a raised floor sounds good for keeping the floor of damp ground and if it's high enough perhaps your dust extraction pipes could be put under there, the only drawback is that if you have any heavy machinery it will need to be a very solid floor.

Dom

Thanks for your replies guys.

would the noise from your workshop not disturb the neighbours if they are that close.

I'm hoping to upgrade most of my machinery to induction motor jobbies, and i'm insulating and lining the shed, so hopefully that should help cut down noise. Plus i won't be using then for long periods and only at sociable times.

I'll try and get some pictures of the site posted tomorrow, but at the moment i am leaning towards building a brick wall to take me to the same height as the beds and having heavy timber floor joists placed on that, or slightly higher and having the shed over hang one wall by a couple of feet, raised slightly higher than the bed.

Matt.

Dom wrote:...you have any heavy machinery it will need to be a very solid floor.

Jim Kingshott in his book about the workshop gives excellent advice about floor loadings for a suspended floor. If your machinery is plumbed into a specific location (as mine is) then all you do is to make sure that the area under the floor has extra local support to take the weight - Rob

Remove the raised bed it has no strength slab the area beading slabs with plenty of mortar or cast a base then build shed.
The forces applied to foundations are directly vertical there is no side force.

Back