Workshop lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am now getting round to lining out my workshop. Its 16mm shiplap over 2x4 on the outside, which holds out the rain so far. I then plan to put building paper inside this (bitumin sandwiched between brown paper) as a vapour barrier, followed by loft insulation between the 2x4's. I then plan to line the lot with 8' by 4' sheets of either ply or MDF to give me a snug and smooth surface to both look at and hang things on.

Would you recommend 12 or 18mm ply or 12 or 18mm MDF? MDF is cheaper than shuttering ply and smoother but is nasty to cut and if it gets wet (hopefully it wont but its only a glorified shed after all). Good quality ply is much more expensive and I think if I buy shuttering ply I am going to regret the poor quality at a later date!

Any views or thoughts welcome :D

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

You may find the effect too "busy" perhaps, but I used 11mm OSB to line my workshop. Cheap, effective and easy to attach shelves, cupboards etc to it. Personally I don't notice it anymore, and it gives a nice warm feeling to the w'shop. If you don't have much light you can easily paint it. If you take a look round my workshop pages you can see how it looks.

Cheers, Jester

Yup, I agree with Jester.

Later this year, I'm going to be taking on a big project, extending my shop. I've put some thought into it.

You really dont need 18mm though, Its really to thick. If you dont like the look of OSB, why not have a layer of OSB, and cover that with a thinner layer of smooth MDF or Hardboard even.

Have to go along with jester on this one. OSB it is.

I lined out my utility room with this, and with a coat of masonry paint over the top it looks great, like some fancy stucco effect. I used smooth masonry paint as I figured it would be more 'climate' proof, and also covered the not smooth OSB very easily.

This is also the same process that I will be carrying out in the 10 x 16 shed that I am just starting to build the base for. good luck with yours.

Bone

I used 11mm OSB in my 14x10 shed and it works a treat at considerably less cost than MDF or Ply. I usually over-engineer anything I build, but in this case pragmatism wone through

OSB is probably the cheapest way to go. I wouldn't line with MDF if there is even the remotest chance of damp (like on those unheated winter days) because it will go like old Sundaela (softboard) or hardboard unless you seal both sides and all the edges first.

A tip about insulation. If you have the choise between fibreglass (generally pink or orange) and Rockwool (greeny-grey) go for the Rockwool. It has better sound-deadenning properties than the F/G, especially if "packed" (i.e. 6in thickness in a 3in deep void)

Cheers for all the advice - looks like OSB is the way to go :wink:

I already have an OSB floor and ceiling so its going to be a bit like an OSB box, so a lick of paint is going to be needed I reckon. Great excuse for a spray system.... :lol:

Steve.

Back