Workshop Lights - AquaLine or Sylvania

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to order some high frequency 5 foot fluorescent light fittings, with some protection against stray timber, and these are the two I'm considering:

Sylvania: 2 doubles £64.64 at screwfix here

AquaLine: double £20.99 at QVSdirect here

I spoke to Screwfix who told me the Sylvania lights weren't strong enough for what I had in mind, but they helpfully gave me the number for Sylvania technical help, who recommended a light for me - it was the same light. I also know that a few people here have used them and they've been ok.

I've just found the AquaLine light from an old thread here, does anyone know how strong they are, if they're as good as the Sylvanias?

Thanks

Trig

Are the lights you are looking at T8's or T5's? There is a difference in the running costs, with T5's being cheaper to run.

Have you run thru that "calculation" to work out how much Lux is required and therefore how many fittings you require?

Cheers

Dibs

Dibs-h":20lllya5 said:
Have you run thru that "calculation" to work out how much Lux is required and therefore how many fittings you require?
Hi Dibs

Yep, used that excellent thread from Ivan, all lux sorted.

Are the lights you are looking at T8's or T5's? There is a difference in the running costs, with T5's being cheaper to run.
Ah, I was just looking at T8s. Are T5s more efficient? I can check them out.

Triggaaar":2vch6eez said:
Dibs-h":2vch6eez said:
Hi Dibs

Yep, used that excellent thread from Ivan, all lux sorted.

The blurb has T5's as being more efficient. There's a guy I know, who I'm planning on buying 5foot doubles, from around £25, including tubes. You can't beat the price - believe me I've tried. :lol:

Drop me a PM if you decide to go for T5's and I'll PM you his details.

Cheers

Dibs

Yeah I'd be happy to go T5s if I can get replacement bulbs as easily as the T8s. I was looking at TLC as they're the local electrical store I use, but I don't think they do the T5 in 49W link

Thanks

Triggaaar":2eo6f24z said:

I did a comparison last year when I built my shop. T5's seem to be about 12% more efficient, as near as I can tell. Some of that may be offset because they put out the maximum light at a higher temperature than T8's. The T5 bulbs last about a third longer according to one website but others say the difference is "small". The T5's light output doesn't drop as much over the life of the bulb, either.

I don't know if the increased efficiency will offset the increase in fixture cost. The fixtures are significantly narrower and may fit into places where the T5's won't go. In addition, you may be able to get by with fewer fixtures.

I went with the T5's, but your needs may be significantly different. I hope this helps...

Kirk

Thanks for the reply Kirk
kirkpoore1":mkxp2gnj said:
I did a comparison last year when I built my shop. T5's seem to be about 12% more efficient, as near as I can tell.
How did you work out the light output from them? Or do you just mean they use 12% less electricity?

The fixtures are significantly narrower and may fit into places where the T5's won't go.
What, the T8 fixtures are narrower? I assumed that a T5 single/double is thinner than a T8 single/double.

Triggaaar":2q3s1mqk said:
Thanks for the reply Kirk
kirkpoore1":2q3s1mqk said:
I did a comparison last year when I built my shop. T5's seem to be about 12% more efficient, as near as I can tell.
How did you work out the light output from them? Or do you just mean they use 12% less electricity?
The T5's more efficient measured in watts per lumen. Don't ask me to define lumen, though.:)

Triggaaar":2q3s1mqk said:
The fixtures are significantly narrower and may fit into places where the T5's won't go.
What, the T8 fixtures are narrower? I assumed that a T5 single/double is thinner than a T8 single/double.
D'oh! I meant the T5's may go where T8's won't. Sorry for the confusion.

Kirk

No problem, I thought that must be what you meant, but since I don't know the difference between a T5 and a T8 I thought I'd best check.

Looking at what's on offer I get the impression that 5 foot T5s can be 35, 49 or 80 Watts (or possibly more).

Triggaaar":3uv4kkcj said:
...Looking at what's on offer I get the impression that 5 foot T5s can be 35, 49 or 80 Watts (or possibly more).

That may be a function of length. Here in the US the standard lengths are 4' and 8'. I put in 4' bulbs, which were 28 watts each. Your 5' bulbs (1500mm) would be the same efficiency at 35 watts. The 80 watt bulbs you're listing may be really long, or High Output bulbs, which are less efficient. I couldn't find any watts per lumen values on HO bulbs.

Kirk

Triggaaar":uye1de5y said:
No problem, I thought that must be what you meant, but since I don't know the difference between a T5 and a T8 I thought I'd best check.

Looking at what's on offer I get the impression that 5 foot T5s can be 35, 49 or 80 Watts (or possibly more).

Trig

I think you may be confusing Watts with Light Output (Lumen).

If you measured your light requirement - you should have a total figure for Light required. Divide that by the Lumens output of a fixture you are looking at (obviously tube specific interms of Watts of tube, length, type, etc.) and that'll tell you how many fixtures you need.

For the T5 lamps I was referring to a double 5 footer produces - 1140 lumens , so divide you requirment by that and see where you end up. If that ends up with too many units i.e. more than you can physically fit, then step up from a 35w tube to something higher - which produces more lumens and start again with the calc (i.e. divide required Lumens by Lumen Output of tubes\fitting).

Apologies if it's teaching granny to suck eggs.

HIH

Dibs

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.
kirkpoore1":382y86p7 said:
That may be a function of length. Here in the US the standard lengths are 4' and 8'. I put in 4' bulbs, which were 28 watts each. Your 5' bulbs (1500mm) would be the same efficiency at 35 watts. The 80 watt bulbs you're listing may be really long, or High Output bulbs, which are less efficient.

Dibs-h":382y86p7 said:
I think you may be confusing Watts with Light Output (Lumen).
I may well be confused, but hopefully not between Watts and Lumen. Here's what I'm seeing:
5 foot T5 49W
5 foot T5 80W
5 foot T5 35W

Is it as straight forward as I'm assuming, or have I missed something?

For the T5 lamps I was referring to a double 5 footer produces - 1140 lumens
Something doesn't seem right here. I worked out how much I need from Ivan's post here, which says:

"Lumens
1300 - 100W filament bult
3150 - 200W filament bulb

1100 - 20W energy saver fluorescent

2100 - 900mm fluorescent tube
3000 - 1200mm fluorescent tube
4800 - 1500mm fluorescent tube
5200 - 1800mm fluorescent tube"

So 2 * 1500mm tube producing 1140 lumens sounds a bit low

This 49W T5 says it produces 4450 Lumens

If it was 1140 a pair, I'd have to fill every inch of my ceiling with them.

I agree that something's not quite adding up, but since I'm not home to look at my lights and their rating, I'm afraid I can't help much.

To get the actual efficiency and ratings, I think it might be easiest to go to the bulb (not fixture) manufacturer's website. They should have a listing of the lumens and wattage, as well as color temperature, for each of their bulbs. The links you posted were for the fixtures and the power ratings of the bulbs they could use. The bulbs themselves will vary some, but I think if you keep at or below the fixture rating (35/49/80 watts) you'll be OK. Don't neglect color temperature--some bulbs really look blue, and others yellow, depending on that temperature. It's best to see in person to decide what you like and can stand.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":3u8232pg said:
To get the actual efficiency and ratings, I think it might be easiest to go to the bulb (not fixture) manufacturer's website. They should have a listing of the lumens and wattage, as well as color temperature, for each of their bulbs. The links you posted were for the fixtures and the power ratings of the bulbs they could use.
Yes, I listed some fittings, showing variable power outputs (some with bulbs included), but the last link was to a 49W bulb showing its Lumen rating (although sites can get these things wrong).

Trig

I've just rang the supplier and the 1140 is an error. He's confirmed the single 35w T5 tubes produce an average of 3440 lumens.

HIH

Dibs

Whatever you decide two things:
1) Get fittings with high frequency control gear. They switch on immediately, suffer less from strobing effect with rotating machinery and are more efficient.
2) Get daylight/high colour temperature tubes. Much better colour rendition.

Dibs-h":83hxk2k2 said:
I've just rang the supplier and the 1140 is an error. He's confirmed the single 35w T5 tubes produce an average of 3440 lumens.

HIH
Yeah thanks Dibs - hopefully that'll save you a dozen fittings too.

Nick W":83hxk2k2 said:
Whatever you decide two things:
1) Get fittings with high frequency control gear. They switch on immediately, suffer less from strobing effect with rotating machinery and are more efficient.
Will do, thanks.
2) Get daylight/high colour temperature tubes. Much better colour rendition.
This is a strange one. Have a look at the last post on this page

Jake says that the colour from the daylight bulbs doesn't look right unless you have it crazy bright. Any thoughts on that or have you tried both?

Thanks guys

Jake and I will have to differ on that then. Or at least I don't think I've got crazy bright lighting in my w'shop. Just a mo...

12 single 5 footers in just over 50m2. Does that count as crazy bright?

EDIT: The tubes are Osram Lumilux Cool Daylight 58w to be explicit.

Nick W":1eosx14p said:
I don't think I've got crazy bright lighting in my w'shop. Just a mo...

12 single 5 footers in just over 50m2. Does that count as crazy bright?
Wow, nice big space. Poor me only has about 11m2.

EDIT: The tubes are Osram Lumilux Cool Daylight 58w to be explicit.
Thanks I'll check them out. Do you find the colour pretty natural?

Back