Workshop lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCR

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to be having problems with lighting in my workshop (shed!). Its probably my age which is causing the aggro but any advice/experience would be great. I have tried strip lighting - OK but a little dull and the buzzing drives me mad. At present I have 12v spots (Screwfix track, 3 spots per track) which gives very bright light, but in "pools" - and I find the harsh illumination difficult when working with reflective surfaces. Any bright ideas?

Bob

Bob
I use three types of lighting in my shop-strip lights, regular light bulbs and an "up-close" angle poise lamp to illuminate what I'm doing. By mixing up the types you get the best of all worlds-warmth of regular bulbs, spread and clinical brightness of tubes and light where you need it. Try it, it works great for me!
Cheers
Philly :D

Bob

A bit of lateral thinking maybe but what you are after is a 'soft' light, I think.

How about fitting large sheets of white anything to your roof and then shining all your halogen spots at that? Not sure how long they'll stay white..what with dust build up over time and you may need a few more spots to get the illumination that you require but it might be worth experimenting with?

That way you should get a wide diffuse light..with minimal shadows.

Roger

Roger, Philly

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect it will be a case of good quality strip lights (if there are such products nowadays) and a decent angle poise lamp. There is very little head room for "reflected" illumination.

Bob

I used high frequency ballast fluorescent fittings ... they start more quickly than the conventional ones, and have a possible safety advantage that they have no low frequency flicker that might make blades etc. appear stationary when they are in fact in motion.

They are available from electrical wholesalers, but not generally from most DIY stores. They do cost somewhat more than the cheapest conventional ballast fittings.

In a double garage, I went for 1 double and 4 single fittings. However, the double appears more than twice as effective as the singles; I think because the tubes are to either side of the fitting, and therefore more light is reflected from the ceiling.

GCR":2aq0qbku said:
I seem to be having problems with lighting in my workshop (shed!). Its probably my age which is causing the aggro but any advice/experience would be great. I have tried strip lighting - OK but a little dull and the buzzing drives me mad. At present I have 12v spots (Screwfix track, 3 spots per track) which gives very bright light, but in "pools" - and I find the harsh illumination difficult when working with reflective surfaces. Any bright ideas?

Bob
the buzzing drives me mad??? That ones easy for a musician to answer, turn the radio up!!!! :lol:
You are right of course, but the striplight-bulb & spot solution that philly offered is one I would also go with. Cheers, Sliver.

Hi Lee

LeeElms":3nw28aq8 said:
There is no 'buzzing' that I can hear from the high frequency ballast fittings.

I am also in that lucky position. The old fitting that was in the garage could buzz for Wales.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Bob,

Got no natural lighting in my workshop (unless I open the door) so completely reliant on artificial light. Got 8 fluorescent tubes in mine and the only buzz is just before they've fully warmed up. Got quite a high ceiling (over 3m) so still wasn't bright enough - painted ceiling white and a great improvement. I use anglepoises for close work.

Cheers,
Col. :)

Folks

Again, thanks for the feedback. I have been engaged in a quest for high frequency fluorescent (1500mm/5' twin tube) light fittings. The local builders merchants, a big company, allowed the ritual long wait at the counter (but did not do the humiliation routine because I knew what I wanted!) then professed to know nothing about high frequency fittings. The net did not provide any suppliers so I had to resort to Yellow Pages and have ordered a fitting - I will let you know how I get on.

Bob

Back