workshop lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on redoing my shop lighting, at the moment its a mismatch of old flourescents. I picked up 1O double tube units with T5 tubes off facebook new in the box cheap. I noticed that they are 45 watts per tube. I need about 2O units so thats alot of juice.
Has any one tried these cheap LED units off ebay, you can get 1O for £65

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Batt...var=652142534502&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hi

Be careful with some fluorescent lighting in workshops with rotating machinery, not so much an issue with HF ballast but some cheap LED lighting can also have a flicker that can cause the strobe effect. I am using lamp battens that accept LED bulbs, I have five arranged on a board 300mm square with an angled holder in each corner and a straight holder in the centre using 15 watt LED bulbs, equivalent of 100watts in old money. I treat this as background lighting and it is like daylight but I then use a magnetic base light on any machine I am using and a small floodlight above the workbench. The buld holders are only a few quid each but the bulbs are about £8 each. To connect everything together behind the board use Wago 222 series connectors, don't be a dinosaur and use "chocolate block" that went out of date with ring mains.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/angled-batten-lamp-holder-bc-2-52/1801dhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-loop-in-batten-lamp-holder-bc-2-52/8215d

Also many of these cheap items are not CE approved which means they can be compromised in terms of safety and fire resistance. I’ve been burnt, literally, and would now only buy direct from a reputable UK supplier.

I have a few of the 5ft led strip light replacements which I got from amazon. I’m really pleased with them. Much better light. No strobe effect I can detect. Instant on. Short lead wires though. Had to extend to reach existing ceiling hole.

I have an office with a tenant who has just gone into administration, the new tenant does not want the current LED strip lights. I'll be putting some in my workshop the rest I'll be putting on eBay for about a tennner each. They are 12 months old and reputable UK supplier/manufacturer. Cost me £3,000.00 to get installed last December!

Make sure you get a good colour. 4000K or less is far nicer to live with than 6500 Kelvin colour temperature.
And as these don't really wear out, you'll be living with them for a long time.

I had/have the same issue. When my latest flourescent-tube failed I started moving to cheap LED lamps from CPC online. I am pleased so far. A friend suggested these instead of LED tubes I like that they are easy to direct where I need them, and cheap enough to have multiples. Also cheaper to run of course.

I'm planning on redoing my shop lighting, at the moment its a mismatch of old flourescents. I picked up 1O double tube units with T5 tubes off facebook new in the box cheap. I noticed that they are 45 watts per tube. I need about 2O units so thats alot of juice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Batt...var=652142534502&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Have you got your numbers correct? At 40W per unit you should be getting about 4,800 lumens per unit for 96,000 lumens of light from 20 units. So unless you have a seriously large workshop you may need sunblock and welders eye protection. ;)
also as to a lot of juice it’s under 4A total so no lighting circuit is going to notice

FWIW my workshop is about 70 square metres and the total maximum is around 750W but I usually use up to 180W or 96W the sunlight of the extra 500W is reserved for occasional use when I need detailed work. Also my lights are at around 4 metres up so that means that the light on the work surface is proportional less.

Nothing wrong with having more light than you need but if you do I would put them on at least 4 cirCu it’s so you can switch in more or less light.

One note of caution. I already have some very good fluorescent lights in my workshop, but they are 70W each, so I was looking at alternatives. Persuaded by people's good experiences on here, I bought a couple of 450mm square 36W LED panels. They give a lovely bright light for much less power.

But because they only send light downwards, with just the panels in place, the white ceiling was entirely dark. This made the room look weird and oddly gloomy.

It would be ok in a big office but the headroom in my basement workshop is less than 2metres.

I've fixed the issue for now by keeping the panels as extra light, which is great.

Ive got 3 of those in my garage -they light up a single garage pretty well

each light is less bright than a double fluorescent fitting I would say -but the great thing is that they switch on at full brightness instantly

Hi

Don't buy cheap, buy recomended because buying twice is more expensive. Cheap units can have a flicker and not produce a good spread of lumens. Personaly I have used LED bulb arrays for overall lighting and use local lighting with mag bases or clamps to light up the task in hand, this takes away shadows.

Back