Workshop Lighting Opinion/Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

my workshop is now ready for wiring and I'm planning on installing 6 x twin 1800mm (6 foot) Fluorescent strips. The workshop is L 8.6m x W 4m x H 2.7m.

Do you think this is to much or too little (lighting :lol: )??? :?

I'm planning on installing them in three rows of two along the length of the workshop about 1 m away from the wall (2m between fittings on the width).

I also intend to fit some task lighting on the machines (drill, grinder etc.)

any advice/info/opinion would be appreciated. :D

Regards

Michel

Fluorescent strips

In my opinion you need TWO types of lighting in a woodworking workshop.
General, all over lighting is best provided by lots of neon lights, well spread to avoid shadows.
Directional light is necessary for any operation where you need to see the shadows, sanding, finishing etc. A halogen security type light is best for this, 300 watt should be enough, and well cheap if bought from somewhere like B&Q too. If you don't get something like this, as soon as you take your piece made under flourescents outside you will see all sorts of imperfections that are invisible under shadowless light
John

In addition I would recommend daylight corrected flourescent tubes.
We had a section at work where the men had always been by low windows when they were doing fine detail work.
The factory was moved around to improve the movement of workpieces around the shop.
this left that section below roof height windows and most started suffering from headaches.
Changing the lighting tubes above them to daylight corrected stopped most production loss from headaches.
Early mercury lights were well known for causing bad headaches both from the flickering and colour balance.

Back