Workshop lighting - looking for advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am relocating my workshop, hopefully, and looking at lighting.

Picked up a 50 watt LED fitting, 6000K colour and 120 degree beam angle, yesterday to try, only fired it up outside but lit up the whole backyard, I have a selection of fluorescents in my current shop but still get shadows, so will see how I get on with the LED option.

phil.p":2qvuldt0 said:
The best idea of all - paint the walls and ceiling white before you even think about lighting.

That's what I did with my new shed. Makes a huge difference and need'nt cost very much.

I think your lighting will be great.
I have 2 banks of 3 doubles, 12 tubes in all, in an area about twice as long and wide. It is a very nice working light, it's one of the things I got right. My ceiling is white and walls magnolia, it's just a little easier on the eye.

I bought some of the ELco lights linked to earlier in this thread, having unpacked one I'd really appreciate some help with fitting them as I'm afraid the instructions are next to useless as far as I can tell...

What pictures 1, 2 and 3 are telling me to do is a complete mystery.

Also, I can work out what the clips to fit the cover to the body are and the clips that it looks like you fit to the ceiling and then 'snap' the lights onto. But there are a couple of parts which I just can't work out what they are for and what I am supposed to do with them. These are the offending items...

I suppose the pictures I can't make head nor tail of may well involve the parts I'm also stumped by, but I sure as heck don't know. Anyanswers would be much appreciated.

Terry.

Update.

1) Just painted ceiling and walls of workshop white----about 3 coats.

2) Just fitted a 58 watt LED with 120 degree angle to RHS and a twin 4ft fluorescent to the LHS. The LED gives the best light. 6000 degrees K I expected to be a bit too blue but the LED is much less blue than the fluorescent. The 6000K twin tube fluorescent gives enough light but is less bright but seems more blue than the LED. There is also the long history of lack of problems/reliability in fluorescents

3) The lighting consultant who came recommended LEDs as being more suitable but slightly + more expensive.

4) Electrician coming next week to fit LEDs on a 1.2m grid system plus a couple over my bench and assembly bench.

Might be a bit of overkill as lumens per sq m are over the recommended levels by 10%. We will just have to see.

Back