Workshop lighting (again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bussy

Established Member
Reaction score
evening folks
Just starting to re-arrange my workshop and was thinking of changing the lighting from fluorescent tubes to LED lights, i saw the post a few days ago about LED strip replacements for standard fluorescents, did a bit of googling and came across LED panels. Has anyone have these or seen these in use and if so are they any good.

Cheers Marty

I have just swapped all my tubes for LED tubes. So it is the same fitting but just new tubes. Saved messing around with the electrics. If I had been starting anew I would have gone for the panels.

LED Hut do reasonably priced high quality strips which you can size up to fit various lengths. I have the waterproof strips and they work very well.

The problem with a lot of the more compact bulb based LEDs is that they often fail way before their expected life expectancy due to close proximity of the power supply to the LEDs themselves, and close clustering of the LEDs. The strips with the external power supplies do much better.

https://woodgears.ca/misc/led.html

I was watching some you tube vids about making your own so was thinking about ordering some LED strips and power supply and making my own, that way i could size them to fit between the roof beams, priced them at approx £10 for 15M of LED's and £13 for a suitable power supply, my only concern would be dust in the power supply.

Marty

bussy":2buvezvv said:
I was watching some you tube vids about making your own so was thinking about ordering some LED strips and power supply and making my own, that way i could size them to fit between the roof beams, priced them at approx £10 for 15M of LED's and £13 for a suitable power supply, my only concern would be dust in the power supply.

Marty
The power supply I bought is very similar to the posted Woodgears video. Each terminal end has end caps and is reasonably well sealed. There are no fans or moving parts. Mounted in the roof, I wouldn't expect trouble.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I'll check out the woodgears video bodgers, the supply i was looking at was rated at 10A and the total load for 15M of LED's is about 6A as far as i can tell, so wouldn't expect the supply to run hot, but i will make a panel and run it on the bench for an extended period to see what sort of temp the unit runs at before installing it.
Thanks for everybodys input so far.

Marty

In my shop 12 months ago I replaced 15 four tube 600mm square fluorescent fittings (was replacing at least one tube over week and the odd unit every three of four months) with ten 600mm led panels. Runs direct from 240v through their own individual driver. The light is twice as bright, a clean white light, no flicker, instant start, cheaper to run at 10 x 50w a panel instead of 15 x 4 x 38w tubes, not had one fail. Wish they'd been available years ago. Good old eBay at £260 for the ten. I believe they are even cheaper now.

I too would kit my workshop with them if starting again.

Phil

Bodgers just watched the woodgears vid you posted, very interesting, I think LEDs is the way to go. I like the idea of being able to make non standard sizes panels to fit specific situations. Thanks Bodgers.

Marty

Thanks Phil, my mind is made up, going to switch to LEDs, but as said in my previous post i think i wil make my own to fit my situation, as i don't have a great deal of head room being able to get them between roof beams will be ideal.

Thanks Phil

Marty

No problem,

I have 5 metres of sm50 led's left over from a project last year so will be making some small lighting units to go around the lathe to improve light at specific points. These are only 12v so will run from a 12v computer monitor transformer.

Phil

Morning phil
I will be painting the walls white but was thinking about boarding them with ply first, don't know if i should batten the wall and fix ply to them or just fix straight to the block work, it's double skin construction and never had a problem with damp. As for the ceiling i don't have one it's just open roof truses.
Marty

Back